Canada Summer Jobs Criteria
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations. International participants are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Position Title: Youth Engagement Assistant, Youth Employment Programs
(2 positions available)
Location: Robert Lee YMCA (Vancouver, BC)
This position is currently working remotely, possibility of return to office and/or hybrid
Terms: Temporary, Part-Time
Hours: 12 hours per week
Start Date: October 4, 2021
End Date: February 25, 2022
Rate: $16.00 per hour
Reports To: Manager, Youth Employment Programs
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behaviour—we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 130 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health & fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 120,000 participants annually.
Nature and Scope:
The YMCA Youth Employment Programs are designed to support youth with barriers to employment to develop fundamental life, social and employability skills.
This position provides coordinated community outreach and marketing support to YMCA Youth Employment Programs, with the goal of recruiting youth participants to the programs. The work environment is very fast-paced, with a high volume of program participants, many of whom present with unique needs and challenges.
- Alongside a small team of Youth Engagement Assistants, conducts a marketing audit of existing participant outreach strategies and provides recommendations;
- Co-creates digital content and engages effectively with young people in the digital space;
- Develops joint outreach strategies across Youth Employment Programs, to ensure youth are aware of and know how to access programs that meet their specific needs;
- Liaises with Youth Employment Programs Managers to identify and address recruitment needs;
- Leverages existing and new social media channels to recruit youth participants;
- Models appropriate behaviours to staff in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; Establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship-building behaviours with staff and members. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner in internal and external forums;
- Additional administrative projects and duties as assigned.
- Experience in community engagement and mobilization;
- Knowledge of social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tik Tok and LinkedIn;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small team of youth;
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable and multi-task in a non-profit environment;
- Creative and innovative, with strong communication and writing skills;
- Experience in a non-profit environment an asset, specifically working with youth who face multiple barriers;
- Computer proficient – Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Office365;
- Desktop publishing experience an asset;
- High degree of independence and initiative within a team environment;
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity;
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date.
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
- Evolve in Professional Capability – Commit to being better
- Achieve Excellence and Authenticity – Show up with the best version of you
- Develop the Potential in Others – Help people grow and lead
- Create a Culture of Connection – Build bridges between people and partners
- Think and Act Strategically – Make good decisions and act on them
- Make an Intentional Impact – Advance the strength and cause of the Y