Schedule: Days; 84 hours bi-weekly; 12 hour day shifts (7am - 7pm) on a two week rotation.
WJS Canada Disability Supports helps people with developmental disabilities and diverse abilities to reach the highest possible levels of independence and community inclusion.
Through personalized planning, the Disability Support Worker (DSW) supports individuals with diverse abilities, including FASD, developmental disabilities or Autism, with anything from managing a monthly budget to managing behaviors, supporting clients in the community and connecting individuals to the medical, psychiatric, self-help or employment services they require.
We also provide support for individuals transitioning into independent living and away from group care or the family home. This includes training in home management, life skills, problem solving, budgeting and much more. Our goal is to help each individual achieve and maintain their independence, support their strengths and encourage integration into the community.
NOTE* CUPE union membership required
*Complex need rate ($20.09+/hr) paid when supporting complex needs clients. Regular rate ($17.09-$20) paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health concerns to build independence and community inclusion through life skills and social/occupational skills
• Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Teaching or assisting the individual to complete daily household tasks which may include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Experience supporting clients/patients with autism an asset.
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to define/pursue their life choices, and participate in community events, employment and recreation.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• 1 year similar experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs. Other experience such as Nursing or Health Care Aide may be considered.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada offers a wide range of personalized and holistic services. We invite individuals and their families or caregivers to help us create of a customized plan just for them, based in best practice and on the person’s or family’s specific needs. By building programs around an individual or family unit instead of trying to deliver services in a rigid, inflexible framework, WJS Canada is able to produce life changing results, even in the most complex of cases.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk) including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!