The Business Development Specialist (BDS) assists in the overall development and execution of commercial partnerships, sponsorship & advertising sales, lead generation, external sales of products and services, and other business development activities for the University of Alberta Students’ Union (UASU).
The BDS develops and fosters relationships with local and national businesses, nonprofit organizations, advertising agencies, marketing intermediaries and peer institutions, as well as with interdepartmental colleagues across the UASU.
The BDS will promote a variety of UASU assets and media, including a network of digital advertising screens, student handbook advertising, on-campus promotional activations, event and program sponsorship, and the monetization of business intelligence and custom software applications.
The BDS facilitates sponsorship and other business development activities throughout the organization, and acts as a professional resource to other UASU departments looking to engage in such activities as either a supplier or a consumer.
The UASU is a not-for-profit organization that exists to serve undergraduate students at the University of Alberta. Being a social enterprise, “value” from UASU business development activities is measured through a variety of lenses including financial return, social good, and overall benefit to students.
The BDS is expected to conduct their work in alignment with the UASU’s operational and social values, with an emphasis on developing long-term relationships with ethically compatible organizations, rather than simply focusing on short-term sales.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Comprehensive health, dental & vision benefits for you and your family
- Life & disability insurance
- A matching RRSP contribution program
- Generous and flexible vacation benefits & other leave
- An open, supportive, collaborative and innovative organization -- we thrive on the great ideas of our team
- The opportunity to make a difference by working at a not-for-profit organization
- An annual Wellness Spending Account to better your life outside of work
- Additional training & professional development opportunities
- Research, identify and solicit prospective clients.
- Work closely with current and prospective clients in order to understand their goals, requirements and available resources, and develop tailored proposals to fit.
- Gather information, negotiate sales packages, and prepare written contracts and documentation.
- Schedule and manage ad placements on the UASU’s digital advertising network, student handbook and other advertising locations.
- Supervise the activities of clients and their representatives engaged in on-premise activities. Ensure that parties are adhering to all rules and regulations, and act as a primary on-premise liaison to stakeholders, ensuring an optimal experience.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of all organizations, contacts, opportunities, interactions, transactions, contracts and agreements. Provide stakeholders with all required paperwork, and submit reports as directed.
- Develop and maintain solid, long-term relationships with new and existing clients, as well as with stakeholders of strategic importance within the Students’ Union, the University of Alberta and outside organizations.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the UASU’s overall sponsorship, advertising and external sales strategy.
- Assist in the development of national collaborations and commercial partnerships.
- Maintain a strong ongoing understanding of industry trends and opportunities.
- Perform other work-related duties and projects.
- Superior communication, networking, teamwork, negotiation, and interpersonal/diplomacy skills, with the ability to forge strong relationships and work effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent organizational, writing and analytical skills, and high attention to detail
- Ability to set priorities wisely, multitask, and dynamically solve complex problems while meeting all deadlines
- Ability to work responsibly with little or no supervision
- Charisma and confidence in public speaking and in approaching clients and prospects
- High level of creativity and motivation, with the ability to generate support for ideas
- Demonstrated commitment to high professional and ethical standards
- Successful candidates will be required to possess and maintain a valid Class 5 or higher driver’s licence, and a satisfactory driving record, as a condition of continued employment
OTHER PREFERRED SKILLS:
- Previous experience, education or training in sales, sponsorship, advertising or other business development activities, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Demonstrated success in relationship management, lead conversion and negotiation
- Awareness of, or experience with, the Students’ Union, the University of Alberta, or similar organizations
- Familiarity with relevant legislation, regulations and policies, including those of the Competition Bureau, Ad Standards Canada, Service Alberta and the Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis Commission
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) systems
- Experience in project management
- Basic (non-technical) understanding of web applications and the application development process
- Number of hours worked per week may vary, with an average of 37.5 hours expected
- Willingness and ability to work varying hours as needed, including some evenings and weekends
- Working environment will include an office environment as well as time spent visiting stakeholders
- Regular local and regional travel will be required; access to a vehicle for such travel can be provided as necessary
- Occasional long-distance and overnight travel may also be required
EQUITY AND INCLUSION:
The UASU’s mission is to serve, engage, and represent students. To do that well we need an organization that is representative of the students we serve. We are committed to creating a diverse environment that fosters a sense of belonging and empowerment. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
Does the job and the UASU sound like a good fit for you? Apply today -- we're excited to hear from you!
The review of applications will start on September 29, 2021, however, the competition will remain open until filled.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.