Director, Shared Platform – Full-Time, 1 Year Contract (Maternity Leave Coverage)
Located in Canada (flexible)
MakeWay builds partnerships and solutions to help nature and communities thrive together. We are made up of two legal charitable entities: MakeWay Charitable Society, a shared platform home to over 65 innovative community-led projects staffed by 150 change makers; and MakeWay Foundation where about 70 people are advancing place-based programs that support Indigenous-led solutions and conservation in the North, Pacific, Manitoba, and beyond via grant-making, funder collaboratives and other tools. Our people, projects, and partners are based across the country.
The Director of the Shared Platform leads the team and the implementation of the strategy to support a growing number of innovative mission-aligned community of environmental and social initiatives on the platform. In this role, you will collaborate with other teams across MakeWay to ensure that ultimately these projects are sustained, and have greater impact.
With your strong knowledge of charitable compliance, project delivery, and people management, you will also work closely with Senior Management Team colleagues, to advance charitable sector collaboration and advocacy, thought leadership and other strategic initiatives.
What You’ll Do:
Team Oversight & Engagement
- Provide leadership, coaching and guidance to direct reports and staff across the organization who are involved in delivering Project supports. Direct reports include Shared Platform Community Manager, Shared Platform Operations Manager and eight Project Specialists
- Strengthen strategic collaborations with other departments, including effectively representing stakeholder needs and promoting a “One MakeWay” approach
- Facilitate department-wide goals setting and annual work plans in alignment with the organizations strategic plan
- Develop and oversee annual budget and plan for the Shared Platform
Shared Platform Strategy
- Implement the shared platform strategic framework, effectively managing strategic platform improvement projects and incorporating feedback from Project staff and support teams
- Participate in thought leadership on behalf of the shared platform, identifying where MakeWay should influence policy change, play an advocacy role, or pave the way for Projects to advocate for communities Lead strategic improvement initiatives, incorporating feedback from Project staff and support teams
- Facilitate the shared platform team through a collaborative process to define what equity looks like on the shared platform and identify some tangible actions to incorporate social, environmental and economic justice into shared platform operations
- Contribute to external fundraising efforts to support strategic shared platform improvements
Operations and compliance
- Oversee shared platform staffing strategy, with support from Shared Platform Managers, to build strategic capacity and maximize effective support for Shared Platform Projects
- Make operational and compliance decisions, with support from Shared Platform Managers, that foster a culture of equity and align with MakeWay’s strategic plan
- Oversee the design and implementation of shared platform operations, systems, processes and technical tools in ways that incorporate community feedback, move forward the vision of the shared platform and create value for projects
Who You Are:
- Balances stakeholders - Designs strategies and makes decisions that further the shared platform vision and balance the information and decision-making needs of all parts of the organization.
- Communicates effectively - Clearly conveys and distributes complex information and decisions to broad internal and external audiences including MakeWay Foundation staff, projects and funders.
- Decision quality - Makes effective decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure
- Directs work – Provides clear direction and accountabilities, provides appropriate guidance and direction based on people’s capabilities and intervenes as needed to remove obstacles
- Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Drives vision and purpose - Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose and clearly communicates and inspires others
- Instills Trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity, particularly staff working in Northern and/or rural settings
- Manage conflicts - Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities, reads situations quickly and brings together others to settle disputes equitably
- Manages complexity – Is adaptable and responsive, open to new processes and new ways of working and acquires data from multiple and diverse sources when solving problems
- Strategic mindset – Articulately paints credible pictures and visions of the future, accurately anticipating future consequences and trends accurately
Experience You Bring:
- Seven years’ progressively senior experience in charitable operations/program leadership
- Experience managing a diverse and remote team with a facilitative and collaborative leadership style
- Excellent project and change management skills with experience in a fast-paced environment
- Strong familiarity with regulations, challenges, and opportunities affecting the charitable sector
- Understanding of the dynamics and complexities of working in a national organization
It Would be a Bonus if You Have:
- Ability to speak French is an asset
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- Salary of $96,497 – $106,381 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Four weeks’ vacation
- Flexible work environment with remote working
- Committed colleagues
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay Team.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!