Organization Vision: To create a culture of support and engagement in diabetes self-management through peer-based experiential diabetes education, sport, and outdoor adventure pursuits.
Organization Mission: Connected in Motion’s mission is to foster a community of people living with Type 1 diabetes so that they may inspire one another to live life without limits.
Position: Managing Director
Status: Contract - 14 months, Full-Time (Parental Leave Coverage)
Location: Remote work, with monthly team meetings in Toronto
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Managing Director is the key management leader of Connected in Motion. The Managing Director provides leadership to the organization and ensures Connected in Motion’s financial and organizational viability. The Managing Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and current year strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include overseeing fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors. Additionally, the Managing Director is familiar with the methodologies and philosophies of experiential education and plays a direct role in ensuring the success of the organization's retreat- and adventure-based programming.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
General Leadership: Act at the highest level of leadership for the organization, finalizing decision making and ensuring a collaborative, positive work environment.
- Foster effective and positive collaboration and teamwork amongst all staff and volunteers.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of Connected inMotion, as appropriate.
- Be an effective communicator and primary spokesperson so as to engage stakeholders via media and direct channels
- Determine staffing and volunteer requirements for effective and efficient organizational management and project delivery;
- Provide guidance and oversight to ensure the community is supported, enhanced, and wide-reaching
- Maintain and develop strong community connections and partnerships, and pursue continued innovation in, and communication with, the diabetes community as well as other stakeholders
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Connected in Motion’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Connected in Motion’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, non-profit and community organizations.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for the effective administration of Connected in Motion’s operations.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Oversees the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the organization using Board-approved policies and procedures
- Develops and implements operational plans which oversee the organization’s programs, projects and services
- Creates marketing plans to increase participation
- Ensures Connected in Motion is represented at community activities to enhance the organization's community profile and reputation
Board Governance: Works with the Board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading Connected in Motion in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of Connected in Motion’s activities, on issues and concerns internal to the organization, and on trends and emerging issues in the external environment;
- Facilitate effective Board meetings by preparing office reports, compiling meeting agendas, proposing topics for discussion/review, determining and initiating follow-up actions
- Support the work of task groups and Board committees
Financial Performance and Sustainability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Connected in Motion’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Connected in Motion, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization as well as appropriate and timely reporting to the Board and funding bodies;
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Ensure appropriate financial management of the organization’s budget, including appropriate bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Ensure Connected in Motion’s files and records are appropriately safeguarded and managed
- Maintains communication with organization sponsors including providing monthly reports and check-ins regarding their contract deliverables
Risk Management: Manages and mitigates risks to the organization through policy creation, training, implementation and reporting.
- Identifies and evaluates the risks to the organization (e.g. impact to participants, staff, management and volunteers) with respect to property, finances, goodwill and images
- Implements measures to mitigate and control risks.
- Oversees staff members in ensuring the overall safety and risk management of individual events and programs
Human Resources: Maintains a healthy, positive work environment among staff and volunteers.
- Manages staff and volunteers using human resources policies, procedures and practices including hiring, orientation, training, evaluations and/or performance reviews, discipline, when necessary termination, and update and maintain current job descriptions for all staff and volunteers;
- Coaches and mentors staff as appropriate to improve performance;
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS - REQUIRED
The following skills, abilities, and qualifications are required of the Managing Director:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Three or more years of senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy
- Ability to work independently and manage time efficiently
- Astute awareness and understanding of the diabetes industry
- Proficient in the use of computers, social media, video technology, database management and personal technology (including apple and google suite programs, smartphones, printers etc.)
- Able to work occasional weekends during programming season
- Willing to travel for Board meetings and other official Connected in Motion functions
- Access to a work computer
Note: This is a remote work (work from home) position. The candidate can work from anywhere in Canada, although travel to Toronto is occasionally required. Able to confidently manage time in a dedicated and distraction-free workspace at 40 hours per week
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS - ASSETS
The following skills, abilities, and qualifications are considered assets of the Managing Director:
- Experience driving in a variety of conditions
- Experiential education facilitation experience
- Teaching Certifications
- Wilderness First Responder Certification
- National Lifeguarding Society Certification
- Valid driver’s license
2022 Program Portfolio
- Winter Yurt Trip (February 2022)
- Virtual Slipstream (April 2022)
- Northeastern Slipstream (May 2022)
- Western Slipstream (June 2022)
- Annual Canoe Trip (July 2022)
- Support Crew Canoe Trip (July 2022)
- Adventure Team Trek (July 2022)
- Ontario Hiking Weekend (August 2022)
- Colorado Slipstream (August 2022)
- SoCal Slipstream (September 2022)
- Ontario Slipstream (September 2022)
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000 (determined based on experience)
- Company benefits available after 3 months of full-time employments. Includes Life, A&D, Extended Health, and Dental for individuals, couples, and families. Connected in Motion covers 50% of these benefits.
- 20 Days vacation to start
- Flexible work schedule and working location
- Paid days for volunteer work in the sector
- Generous sick-days and flexibility for medical appointments