Schedule: 30+ hrs/wk; Weekdays (8pm-8am) - two days on and two days off and every second weekend (8:00pm-8:00am)
302-35 Edmonton Maple House
WJS Canada works with challenged individuals to develop socially acceptable behaviours and make positive connections within their communities. Support services are based on empowering individuals to develop to their maximum potential in the least disruptive manner possible, we accomplish this by tailoring individual behavioural support plans to meet their emotional, behavioral and mental health needs.
In this role, you will deal with challenging behaviours and the possibility of verbal and physical aggression on a regular basis. During overnight hours, staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the person in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
**This position requires a male worker.**
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This a gender-specific position based upon the behaviour and needs of the person served.
WJS Canada is hiring for a highly motivated Complex Behaviours Disability Support Worker to support/supervise a client with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities that may include: Acquired Brain Injury, developmental challenges, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) and dual diagnosis.
SCHEDULE: 8pm-8am 2-shifts on, 2 shifts off; weekdays and every second weekend
Awake wage: $20.09 - $23.00/hr
In Your Role You Will
• During overnight hours staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis.
• During overnight hours provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Administer medication, first aid, or notify emergency medical personnel if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
Preference will be given to mature, physically fit and highly skilled applicants with significant experience in Disability Services & challenging behaviours.
• Only those applicants with a minimum 2+ years experience working with children/youth with challenging behaviours & significant mental health concerns will be considered for this challenging position
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Personal care/hygiene experience.
• Valid class 5 driver license (not GDL – no restrictions) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence; physical intervention skills an asset
• Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures & Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, employer paid extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!