Reporting to the Security Manager, the Systems Administrator is responsible for capacity planning, allocation, scheduling, maintenance and optimization of servers and storage systems to meet the university’s research requirements at The Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC). Working as a key member of the Security Operations Team, the incumbent plans, implements, maintains, manages, troubleshoots and actively monitor servers, storage and backups solutions, system configuration, software, and related infrastructure. The Systems Administrator maintains a high degree of technical knowledge to develop and maintain the Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC) computers and data systems, provide technical input to meet operational and/or project requirements, and create technical and user documentation for training purposes.
The schedule for this position requires the incumbent to work occasional early mornings, evenings and / or weekends, and may also require participation in an on-call rotation to provide system support outside of regular work hours.
• Install, configure, maintain, and monitor servers, operating systems, and storage solutions, in accordance with security standards and operational requirements.
• Provides technical support, guidance and direction for servers and virtualization environments at the CAC.
• Provides technical support, advice, guidance and direction for storage products employed to clients of the CAC, including the OHDP -Q platform.
• Monitors servers and storage devices to isolate and diagnose common system problems, resolves problems, and documents events to ensure continuous functioning. Refer more complicated hardware and software problems to vendors for repair.
• Create storage partitions and shares based on client needs, assign file and sharing permissions and manage storage sharing protocols such as NFS and SMB.
• Manage, schedule and monitor backups, replication and snapshots, deploying Backup configuration setup and providing all levels of support of storage and/or backup infrastructure and services.
• Ensure the appropriate backup level provisioning is maintained, by reviewing daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media.
• Assist in planning and managing change to system infrastructure and application environment while maintaining operational stability, availability and integrity.
• Participates in establishing work schedules, ensuring assigned work follows schedule (may require coordinating workflow and determining priorities as necessary with security operations team and Development unit). Inform Security Manager of any information that may identify challenges to work schedules, missed deliverables, incomplete tasks or inaccurate results.
• Document, and maintain installation of server and storage systems configuration and procedures as part of the internal knowledge base. Write non-technical documentation for end-user support and training.
• Collaborates with team members on the development and analysis of system standards, thresholds and recommendations to maximize system performance. Analyzes and monitors system performance through the implementation of baseline changes and infrastructure upgrades, and prepares storage usage reporting.
• Maintain a high degree of knowledge/expertise in the use of computer operating systems, storage and backups, security, and other aspects of information technology.
• Provide maintenance of technical support for production systems. Ensure that system security, backup, and recovery mechanisms are operational.
• Willingness to promote equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
• Undertakes other duties as required in support of the CAC.
• University degree, with a technical concentration, such as Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
• Several years (minimum 5 years) relevant experience working within the information technology field.
• Proven experience using Linux (CentOS/Redhat/Ubuntu) with Linux certifications such as RHCSA /RHCE considered an asset.
• Demonstrated experience with servers, virtualization and storage infrastructure.
• Experience maintaining storage, backup and recovery technologies.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of networking (TCP/IP).
• Criminal background check (CPIC) required.
• Consideration maybe given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• High degree of knowledge on backup concepts relating to type, iteration and retention in accordance with compliance and legal statutes. Backup automation, scheduling, verification and data migration experience.
• Knowledge and application of Python and other scripting languages such as Bash.
• Familiarity with Windows Active Directory and/or OpenLDAP and the ability to integrate systems with it.
• Possess expertise in Linux and Windows server operating systems.
• Ability to successfully and effectively deliver and support high availability systems.
• Ability to support and maintain VMWare and Tape backup appliances.
• Well-developed analytical and problem-solving and troubleshooting.
• Must be able to work in a strong client-service oriented, team-based environment, with an ability to respond quickly even under challenging circumstances, being sensitive to client needs and adhering to confidentiality as required
• Effective time management skills to handle a broad range of responsibilities and frequent interruptions.
• Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills in order to exchange information with individuals at various levels of technical familiarity and proficiency.
• Effective time management skills to handle a range of responsibilities under time pressure.
• Ability to adapt to a changing work environment and to acquire new technical skills as it becomes necessary.
• Ability to work on own and with limited supervision as well as collaborate with team members, as required by the assigned task.
• Determine appropriate problem-solving procedures and decide how to best rectify the problem. Decide if a problem should be referred to others.
• Determine how best to meet the department's need for Servers and Storage systems.
• Allocate time, prioritize tasks and determine work flow. Continually assess and adjust priorities and manage tasks in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
• Evaluate and make recommendations such as the purchase or acquisition of new storage systems, peripherals and software.
• Assesses the nature of a request and assists the customer as appropriate.
• Determine which reports and analyses are required, who to distribute information to, and how to present the information clearly and effectively.
• Make recommendations toward the allocation of resources.
• Confidentiality is paramount, therefore an aptitude to differentiate what information is sharable when and to whom.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!