Scheduled Hours: 22.5 hrs/wk; Mon - Fri 4.5 hrs/day according to client needs
302-31 Edmonton Oak House
This Supportive Independent Living program provides 22.5 hours/week support for a young lady requiring supports with mental health, substance abuse disorder and FASD.
**This position requires a female worker**
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This is a gender-specific position based upon the behaviour and needs of the persons served.
Only applicants with experience with de-escalation techniques and 2+ years working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, complex behaviors, FASD, substance abuse disorder and/or trauma will be interviewed for this challenging position.
Please provide a cover letter detailing your suitability for this role.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $18.00-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. *
In Your Role You Will
• Support/supervise client's complex behavioral, emotional and social needs/development (within her residence & during community activities); observe & document changes
• Assist client in setting & achieving goals.
• Mentor/teach life skills including communication skills, coping with emotions and change, budgeting, household management, sexual health, boundaries and self care, relationships, self expression, social skills, coping tools, community awareness, personal safety, etc.
• Promote inclusion in community activities through artistic, educational, recreational programming and participation in the volunteer sector.
• Link the client to other community support services as needed.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Two (2) years experience working with persons with an acquired brain injury, developmental disabilities and/or mental health concerns.
• Diploma or Degree in Disability Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Community Rehabilitation, or equivalent
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• Valid Class 5 Driver's License and vehicle is needed for this position
• Able to collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Able to work with minimal supervision on an interdisciplinary team and cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Display sound judgment and best practice methodology.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills are required as all files are electronic
• Certified Brain Injury Specialist Certification training ( if necessary, will consider providing training)
• CPR/First Aid ( if necessary, will consider providing training)
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
• Abuse Protocol training (if necessary, will consider providing training)
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada provides social services to children, youth, adults and families facing difficulties. We provide support and services to persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth, offenders who wish to rejoin and contribute to their community and adults recovering from an acquired brain injury.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous employer-paid group health and dental benefits, vacation, etc. for 30+hrs/wk employees
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!