Reporting to the Hospitality Pastor, the Hospitality Team Member assists in the development and delivery of services and resources, which support individuals seeking Mustard Seed services. The Hospitality Team Member is responsible for ensuring a safe, secure, and welcoming environment for a diverse population, including homeless individuals, families, people with addiction issues, aboriginal people, volunteers and donors. In collaboration with the Hospitality Pastor, the Hospitality Team Member is responsible for the training, coordination and safety of volunteers who support these programs. The Hospitality Team Member maintains a solid knowledge of internal and external resources in the community. Provides Christian spiritual care and support to the Mustard Seed Community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitors all public areas of the main floor and ensures a welcoming, safe, secure environment extending to areas of first contact, e.g. from street curb to reception to chapel
- Takes the lead in resolving conflict and de-escalating potential volatile situations, and is aware of Critical Incident Reporting, and all Health and Safety policies and procedures. Maintains knowledge of laws and legislation as they pertain to the population served by the Mustard Seed
- Provides Christian spiritual care and support to the Mustard Seed Community
- Supports and oversees response to emergency services
- Acts as a social support on behalf of community members, works for social justice and takes appropriate action when required. Suggests and facilitates referrals to other agencies defined by need.
- Works collaboratively and fosters a team environment with all departments
- Participates in ongoing training and maintains mandatory certification.
- Maintains professional boundaries with the Mustard Seed Community and documents interactions with community members referred to our team.
- Participates in staff and team meetings and training opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned
- Proven experience in a service role within a church ministry or social engagement within a ministry similar to the Mustard Seed Community
- An undergraduate degree in a related field or an appropriate combination of education and experience
- Case Management experience and Program Development could be an asset for employment consideration
- Christian commitment and in agreement with and sign the Mustard Seed Code of Conduct
- Experience in working with individuals and groups from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds
- Knowledge of community resources
- Knowledge of current social issues related to the community that the Mustard Seed serves
- Strong inter-personal relations
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Able to maintain appropriate records and reports
- Able to work with multi-disciplined professionals
- Minimum grade 12 or equivalent
- Training in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, ASIST, First Aid, Food Safe or a willingness to obtain this certification.
- Is spiritually mature, discerning, prayerful
- Self-starter and also works collaboratively as part of a team
- Show initiative in understanding/developing relationships
- Be comfortable, decisive and assertive (when necessary) in addressing difficult circumstances
- Compassionate and caring heart
- Flexible when dealing with conflicting priorities
- Maintains confidentiality
- Exceptional active listener
- Adaptive and flexible
Terms of Employment
- This position is with The Mustard Seed Street Church and requires a person who has made a Christian commitment.
- Must be in agreement with and willing to sign the staff code of conduct
- This position reports to: The Hospitality Pastor
- Direct Reports : none
- Temporary - To start immediately, length of time unknown
- Hours : 37.5 hours per week. May/will include work end and evening hours
- Must read and agree to following The Mustard Seed policies which are a living, changing document.
- The Mustard Seed follows BC Employment Standards Law for Terminations
- Must provide an acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to work vulnerable people
- Must provide completed Medical Assessment form from your Medical Practitioner