Leftovers Foundation is one of Canada’s largest, tech-enabled food rescue organizations. We
envision a world where communities come together and are engaged in reducing food waste.
We reshape how our communities fight poverty, reduce food waste, and save our environment.
Our mission is to reduce food waste and increase access in communities across Western
Canada. Leftovers Foundation recognizes that issues within our food systems are deeply rooted in racial,
economic, and social inequities. As an organization that strives to tackle these issues, we are
committed to incorporating Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) in all the work
we do, and that includes how and who we recruit to be on our team of volunteers and staff,
along with providing them with ongoing IDEA training. We are currently recruiting for an innovative
Executive Director with experience and passion in food systems, and an ability to drive operational effectiveness.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in the charitable sector, including experience
in people management, fund development, grant management, charitable finance, and law.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the
successful management of Leftovers as a leader in food systems change.
The Executive Director maintains the highest possible standards of quality and integrity, gets
excited about sharing Leftovers’ mission, and ensures the organization meets its obligations to
its various stakeholders. Other key responsibilities include securing funding, overseeing
program development and administration, allowing the optimal use of organizational finances,
staff, and resources. Through strong leadership, the Executive Director optimizes the overall
performance of Leftovers to achieve the goals agreed to by the Board.
Organization Mission and Strategy. Works with the Board and staff to ensure that the
organization’s mission is fulfilled.
● Responsible for implementation of Leftovers’ programs that carry out the organization’s
● Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Leftovers can successfully fulfill its
mission into the future.
● Responsible for the enhancement of Leftovers’ image by being active and visible in the
community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private
External Relationships. Maintain Leftovers’ reputation in the community.
● Act as the key spokesperson of Leftovers by promoting awareness of Leftovers’
services, vision, mission and values in the community and media.
● Establish and maintain effective relationships with senior and other Government
● Represent Leftovers in dealing with all major external stakeholders and funders/donors.
● Seek opportunities for meaningful collaborations with other community agencies and
organizations engaged in the homeless sector.
Human Resources. Oversees and implements required resources to ensure that the operations
of the organization are sustainable.
● Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
● Responsible effective administration of Leftovers operations.
● Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered
into and on behalf of the organization.
● Build a culture of openness, teamwork and transparency as a role model, and establish
an accountability framework for others to do so.
Financial Performance and Viability. Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial
health of the organization.
● Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenue streams necessary to support
● Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Leftovers, including submission to the Board of a
proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the
financial condition of the organization.
● Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the
approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the
organization in a positive financial position.
Governance. Works with the Board in order to fulfill the organization's mission.
● Responsible for leading Leftovers in a manner that supports and guides the
organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
● Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and
accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to
make informed and effective decisions.
● Carries out Board initiatives appropriately by developing policies, programs or taking
other actions as necessary.
Regulatory. Ensures Leftovers operations meet or exceed regulatory requirements of food
safety and redistribution.
● Develop effective policies and procedures to meet the regulatory requirements of the
● Develop an effective and transparent relationship with regulatory authorities to support
the operations of the Foundation.
● An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
● 5 or more years senior management experience.
● Experience with working with a nonprofit Board of Directors.
● High level strategic thinking and planning with a strong ability to envision and
communicate the organization’s strategic future across all levels of the organization.
● Transparency and integrity leadership.
● Active fundraising experience.
● Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of
influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
● Experience in financial management, including budget preparation, analysis, decision
making and reporting.
● Strong written and oral communication skills.
This is a full-time position within a strong value-based organizational culture. The Executive
Director position receives a comprehensive compensation package and a salary range of
$75,000 to $85,000, extended health benefits, and visibility as an ambassador in the community.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter outlining your fit for the role
to the Leftovers’ Governance Committee Chair, Dana Silver at . We thank
all applicants for their interest. Please note, only applicants selected for an interview will be
Application deadline: October 22, 2021
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!