Senior Philanthropy Officer
(1 year contract)
United Way Greater Toronto is looking for an experienced major gift fundraising professional with passion for the community to join our team. This is for a 1 year maternity leave replacement contract.
Reporting to the Director, Individual Donor Relations, the Senior Philanthropy Officer is responsible for formulating and implementing donor development strategies for individual donors and prospects with the ability and inclination to contribute annual major gifts of $10,000+, as well as principal, transformational and planned gifts.
What you’ll do:
- Manage high net worth donors and prospects within a rigorous discovery, cultivation and solicitation process
- Plan donor touchpoints that result in enhanced relationships and increased financial commitment to United Way’s community-building work
- Prepare written materials associated with management of donors and prospects (e.g. development of proposals, financial illustrations of gift vehicles, progress/stewardship reports on projects funded and general correspondence)
- Work collaboratively across the organization, including with corporate fundraising colleagues, helping with goal setting, prospecting, solicitation, tracking and stewardship of individual employees within workplace accounts
- Provide strategic direction, management and support to senior volunteers
- Provide leadership in educating other staff about major gift fundraising strategies
- Maximize the use of the CRM tool to implement and facilitate fundraising plans against major gift prospects and donors
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Minimum 5 years experience in a major gift fundraising and/or comprehensive sales environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively forge, manage and maintain long-standing constituent relationships
- Alignment with the mission of United Way Greater Toronto
- Experience working with senior volunteers
- Demonstrated track record in major individual gift cycle activity
- Familiarity with planned giving vehicles (bequests, insurance, etc.)
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to conduct research and use independent judgement to problem solve
- Ability to influence, negotiate and manage contentious issues to resolution
- Ability to coordinate and modify projects, and work with a group of external volunteers
- Proven ability to take initiative and carry projects to completion with minimum supervision
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and constituent service skills including the ability to work respectfully and inclusively with a diverse employee population and multiple stakeholders
- Willingness to actively contribute to the organizational equity framework through participation in learning opportunities and implementing anti-oppressive, and anti-racist learnings into action internally and externally
- High degree of comfort with sophisticated donor database use and Microsoft Office tools for tracking activity and financial results
- University degree or relevant post-secondary education, or equivalent work-related experience
As part of our recruitment process, United Way Greater Toronto offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities. If we contact you about an opportunity, please let us know if you require accommodation.
About United Way Greater Toronto:
As the largest non-government funder of community services in the GTA, United Way Greater Toronto reinforces a crucial community safety net. United Way’s network of agencies and initiatives in neighbourhoods across Peel, Toronto and York Region works to ensure that everyone has access to the programs and services they need to thrive today. Mobilizing the network and other community support, United Way tackles #unignorable issues linked to poverty. United Way’s work is rooted in ground-breaking research, strategic leadership, local advocacy and cross-sectoral partnerships committed to building lasting solutions to the GTA’s greatest challenges.
Diversity & Inclusion:
United Way is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects our diverse community to ensure we’re best equipped to serve it. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who may need accommodation to apply to join our team. Our commitment to excellence in diversity goes beyond promoting equity. By incorporating a variety of experiences and perspectives, we create opportunities for innovative solutions and maximize the impact of our work.