John Howard Society (JHS) Pacific is a dynamic non-profit organization that provides innovative programming in the social services sector. We strive to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all.
This position will provide support to residents in a home-like environment in one of our many housing programs. You will work to enhance residents' quality of life, maintain the goals of their counselling and/or rehabilitative programs, and ensure the orderly and safe operation of the facility.
Coquitlam and Maple Ridge, BC
HOURS (Multiple Positions Available)
Mornings (08:00 – 16:00)
Evenings (16:00 – 00:00)
Overnights (00:00 – 08:00)
Casual employees must be available for at least ten overnight, ten daytime, and ten evening shifts each month.
These positions require the ability to work flexible hours during the daytime, evenings, and weekends based on operational needs.
• Provides input to the Program Manager and/or other staff regarding the development of appropriate care plans to achieve residents’ objectives
• Ensures residents follow the terms of their residency and are aware of the rules of the facility
• Develops interpersonal therapeutic relationships with psychiatric patients
• Uses professional judgement to ascertain and to apply appropriate intervention techniques with residents in crisis
• Provides emotional support and feedback to residents and their families
• When assigned, participates in social, recreational, employment, educational and other programs as appropriate to assist residents’ case/care plans
• Acts as a positive role model for residents, providing life skills training and behaviour management as appropriate
• Works in a high stress environment, often dealing with clients in crisis situations
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• A Diploma in Social Services and one-year relevant experience is preferred; inhouse training can be provided for the right candidate
• Professional or lived experience working with vulnerable populations experiencing multiple barriers
• A demonstrated and clear ability to respond well in crisis situations
• Ability to successfully complete a Vulnerable Persons Criminal Records Check
• Ability to successfully pass a reference check
• Current Emergency First Aid Certificate
• Valid driver’s licence
• Personal transportation that is in good repair, insured for business up to $1,000,000 for liability, and which can be used to transport clients (negotiable depending on program location and needs)
As JHS Pacific is a unionized environment, the starting wage is $24.48 per hour plus 10.2% in lieu of vacation pay and benefits (for casual employees). The wage will increase with every 2,000 hours worked up to a maximum of $28.52 per hour.
WHAT WE OFFER?
• Committed Living Wage Employer
• Competitive benefits package, including health, wellness, and pension plan
• Career and personal development, with the ability to grow in a diverse range of programs
• Access to a range of staff mental health supports, including an inhouse counsellor, Employee Family Assistance Program, and Critical Incidents Stress Management
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
At JHS Pacific, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff have the opportunity and are supported to thrive. To build a strong and representative workforce, we encourage applications from all qualified applicants, including but not limited to members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities, and people with disabilities.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!