Nature and Scope:
Farm Radio International (FRI) aims to be one of Canada’s best known and positively regarded charities for effective international cooperation. The Head of Stakeholder Engagement will make it happen.
Reporting to the Executive Director and overseeing Marketing, Communications and Fundraising, the Head of Stakeholder Engagement (HSE) plans and leads Farm Radio International’s efforts to communicate effectively with stakeholders about our mission and the results of our work. The HSE is also responsible for growing FRI’s brand recognition through marketing and fundraising efforts.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the HSE is responsible for the following.
- Contributing to FRI’s annual review of its Strategic Plan with a focus on the annual Stakeholder Engagement (SE) departmental plan.
- Ensure that the Stakeholder Engagement team goals align with FRI’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Intentions.
- Develop and manage the annual departmental budget.
- Effectively manage staff performance and development plans.
External stakeholder relationship management
- Refresh or develop a strategic stakeholder engagement plan that outlines Farm Radio’s objectives and tactics for engaging funding partners, implementation partners, governments, public sector agencies, and others.
- Identify external stakeholders, and ensure the implementation of an effective system for recording contact information, and tracking interactions and engagements with them through the Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software.
- Plan and oversee the development and distribution of communication materials that share compelling information about Farm Radio’s mission, approach, programs, results, and insights.
- Plan and oversee the delivery of virtual knowledge-sharing events such as webinars.
- Identify opportunities to present information about Farm Radio’s work and results at relevant conferences, symposiums, summits, workshops and other events.
Internal stakeholder communications and coordination
- Work as the key liaison with the FRI Board’s Fundraising and Communications Committee: prepare for and participate in Committee meetings; plan and review activities with the Committee Chair.
- Ensure the maintenance and update of Farm Radio’s intranet.
- Support and/or coordinate organizational updates and communiques.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and oversee a refresh of the Farm Radio brand identity, which may include a reconsideration of the name or tagline.
- Research, develop and drive a branding and marketing strategy that significantly grows Farm Radio’s profile, name recognition, reputation, media coverage, and following. Help to maintain or improve Farm Radio’s rating by Charity Intelligence.
- Plan and oversee the development of key marketing and communication materials, including the website, annual report, newsletters, blog posts, social media, etc.
- Plan and oversee the implementation of campaigns in Canada that engage people in supporting “communication justice for all”.
Fundraising and Philanthropy
- Oversee and support the Fundraising Department’s efforts to generate donations from Canadian supporters. Monitor and evaluate fundraising results.
Qualifications and Competencies:
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree or comparable experience in an area of relevance: communication; international cooperation; business management, etc.
- Specialized studies (courses, certificate, diploma or degree programs) in communication, stakeholder relations management, marketing, branding, fundraising, strategic planning, etc.
- A track record of success in stakeholder engagement, marketing, communication and fundraising, particularly in the non-profit sector.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ senior management experience with demonstrated ability in leading and managing Communications, Marketing and Fundraising departments.
Skills and Abilities
- Creativity and imagination combined with strong execution skills.
- Excellent communications (oral and written) as well as presentation skills.
- Able to understand and respond to the communication, marketing and fundraising challenges faced by the non-profit sector.
- Effective manager with the ability to motivate team members.
- Good technical skills (Google suite of products; CRM, Excel and other databases) with the ability to quickly learn other required software packages/data management tools pertinent to stakeholder engagement.
- Strong annual planning and budgeting capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability and keen interest in working with FRI’s international, multicultural staff and stakeholders.
- Commitment to gender equality, diversity, equity, inclusion and racial justice in the way you work and the work you do.
- Bilingualism (English-French) for clear and effective communications in spoken and written French and English is preferred.
- Annual salary of $80-$82,000 CAD
- Benefits: 20 days of vacation; Participation in the FRI Group benefits plan - coverage includes (but is not limited to) extended health care, dental and prescription medication; Matching RRSP contribution plan.
Farm Radio International is a unique international non-profit organization dedicated
exclusively to serving African farming families and rural communities through the innovative
use of radio and mobile phones.
We always work through existing local radio stations in Africa. Our network currently includes more
than 1000 radio partners across 41 sub-Saharan African countries. Building the capacity
of these stations and their local stakeholders is central to our approach to building viable
communication platforms for long-term sustainable development.
We have seven offices in sub-Saharan Africa and run major projects in Burkina Faso,
Ethiopia, Ghana, Malawi, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, and Uganda. And we
have worked with funders and partners such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, CABI,
Global Affairs Canada, the International Development Research Centre, the International
Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, Irish Aid, USAID, and the World Food Programme.
Together with our broadcasting and project partners, we reach tens of millions of small-
scale farmers with life-changing information and enable them to have a stronger voice in
their own development.