The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal governments, representing the interests of cities and communities with the federal government.
Position: Events Planner
Department: Policy and Public Affairs
Classification: Level 4
Salary Band: $63,650 - $80,150
Languages: Bilingualism (English & French) is required
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has been the national voice of municipal government since 1901. FCM is dedicated to improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal government. FCM also assumes a lead role representing Canadian municipal interests at the international level by establishing links with municipal associations in other countries. Our policy and priorities focus on championing local government, leading innovative solutions to tackle climate adaptation and mitigation, promoting the opportunities and challenges of rural communities and Big Cities alike, and more. FCM serves constituents in both official languages.
Reporting to the Manager, Events, the Events Planner ensures the successful delivery of all logistics for FCM conferences, meetings, and trade shows, remotely as well as on-site. The incumbent is also responsible for the supervision of the Events Coordinator, volunteers and/or other event staff as required and manages their workload and performance throughout each event. The incumbent is also required to plan for, support, and respond to the logistical needs of FCM’s Board of Directors, Executive Committee, BCMC, and other stakeholders.
- Plans, coordinates and executes logistics for a wide range of events (conferences, board meetings, other corporate events) in a virtual, hybrid and in-person formats; duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Liaising with suppliers, host municipalities, service providers, exhibitors, participants, etc. to ensure the successful delivery of all events.
- Managing the assignment of contracted meeting space to meet the needs of the Events program.
- Liaising with colleagues to determine the various logistical needs for all meeting and event sessions and making adjustments to plans on an on-going basis.
- Soliciting and negotiating contracts/quotes and managing requirements on an ongoing basis related to facility services (i.e. room setup, electrical, housekeeping, etc.), audio visual, simultaneous interpretation services, catering, accommodations, badge scanning services, photographers, equipment rentals, specialty items/furniture, entertainment, etc.
- Preparing, tracking and distributing a wide range of event-related documents.
- Onsite duties which include overseeing and carrying-out various elements of event set-up, responding to requests and resolving issues as they arise throughout the course of an event, ensuring all suppliers fulfill requirements, organizing and supervising volunteers, etc.
- Other duties which include preparing and coordinating shipments of FCM material to and from event locations, maintaining records, event follow-up activities, etc.
- Responds to and resolves a variety of issues that may arise throughout the preparation, execution and take-down of each event. Ensures that major problems are escalated to the Manager or the appropriate authority, as needed.
- Plays a leadership role, in collaboration with the Manager of Events, in the planning and visioning for event formats and elements. This includes bringing industry expertise and insight into cutting-edge Events best practices, both in-person and virtual.
- Reviews key deliverables for each event to assess the scope of the project, determine an appropriate plan of action, recommend procedures and solutions, execute the plan, track progress, and monitor the budget.
- Manages the selection and contracting process (negotiations, revisions, approvals) and the fulfilment of contractual obligations for meeting and event venues, hotel room blocks (rebates, concessions, pick-up, attrition), and all other service providers for FCM events.
- Manages the hotel accommodations booking process for members/delegates and FCM staff for all events and ensures excellent customer service in responding to members/delegates regarding hotel accommodations for FCM events.
- Responsible for drafting web event content and updating web event content for the FCM website, as well as drafting event-related email communications for FCM members.
- Researches supplier costs and supports the Manager with budget planning for FCM events. Tracks, confirms accuracy, codes, and processes event-related invoices ensuring rates and deliverables are accurate.
- As a member of the FCM Sustainability Working Group, manages the implementation of sustainable events practices by doing research, developing strategies, and working with event suppliers and reporting on progress.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Events Management and a CMP Certification (or the equivalent) is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- A minimum of 5+ years of hands-on experience in event management preferably for large-scale events.
- Strong knowledge and ability in using business support processes and tools (i.e. Microsoft Office suite, databases, tracking systems, etc.).
- Familiarity with, and passion for, virtual events and platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and persistent follow though and execution of multiple priorities while remaining responsive to changing conditions in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and turnaround times.
- Strong customer service skills, demonstrated attention to detail and quality assurance, and ability to work without close supervision.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills to coordinate a variety of event deliverables and communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of internal and external stake holders (for example: FCM members, FCM Table Officers, Board of Directors, Big City Mayors’ Caucus, etc.).
- Excellent oral communication and comprehension skills in both English and French (bilingual).
The benefits to joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market, FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FCM is currently under a temporary work from home protocol until further notice. The successful candidate must have the ability to work from home during this period.
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessible Canada Act, 2019 and all applicable provincial accessibility standards, upon request, accommodation will be provided by FCM throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.