L’Arche is an organization in which people with and without intellectual disabilities share life together based on stated core values, as articulated in our Servant Leadership Model. We live, work, and learn together in our 30 communities across Canada. Founded in 1964, L'Arche strives to shape a more human and just society where each person’s gifts are known and celebrated.
Position: Community Leader/Executive Director Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start date: December 6, 2021 Duration: Permanent full time
Location: Calgary, Alberta Responsible To: L’Arche Calgary’s Board of Directors & the Regional Leader
L’Arche Calgary is seeking an energetic, compassionate individual who is willing to lead this faith and relationship-based community for a mandate of 4 years with the possibility for renewal for up to 2 additional terms. Best fit individuals are those who embrace community building and are excited about opportunities for growth and change that will benefit the community. In addition to being overall responsible for identifying and delivering on opportunities to fulfill the mission of L’Arche and uphold the values and philosophy outlined in the Servant Leadership Model, this person is responsible for ensuring adherence with government standards/directives and local community policies. The Community Leader/Executive Director ensures that adequate structures, systems, resources and processes are in place to meet the needs of L’Arche Calgary. The Community Leader/Executive Director also supervises members of the Leadership Team and administrative personnel, and must work closely with all stakeholders to manage the high-quality and person-centred care and well-being of the individual members of L’Arche Calgary’s homes and programs.
Location: L’Arche Calgary is a vibrant, spiritual, relationship-based community. We currently have 5 homes, a Supported Independent Living Program and Tamarack Day Program where people with and without intellectual disabilities live, work and share life together. This is a diverse, multicultural community that celebrates the unique gifts of each person who chooses to live and/or work with us. To learn more about our community visit: https://www.larchecalgary.org/
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and foster a comfortable, welcoming and affirming community-building atmosphere.
- Ensure celebrations, traditions, spiritual practices and gatherings are inclusive and meaningful.
- Maintain a community rhythm that is well-balanced and reflective of members’ pace.
- Plan, organize and execute initiatives to support the priorities identified in the L’Arche Calgary Mandate.
- Identify the overall needs of the community, develop priorities and action plans, and oversee their implementation and ongoing evaluation.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills.
- Ensure that assistants and personnel continue to be well supported and supervised with regular and consistent coaching, team meetings, (supervisory) roles and goals meetings and circles of learning.
- Ensure adequate time and resources are designated to ensure that formation and training programs are of high-quality and kept up to date.
- Oversee fund development with the Fund Development Officer.
- Oversee (through the HR Coordinator) local recruitment to ensure enough best-fit individuals are supporting the homes and programs.
- Ensure reviews, goals, individual plans and other support processes are in place and effective.
- Report to the Board and act as a liaison between the board and the different levels of the L’Arche Federation.
- Work with government and other regulators to manage risk and fulfill reporting requirements.
- Represent L’Arche with family, funders, donors, agencies and other stakeholders.
- Manage financial planning, budgeting and reporting to meet all requirements and preserve the financial health of the community.
- Collaborate with Leadership Team members, Community Council, Team Leaders, the Board, and other stakeholders.
- Support regional, national, and international initiatives of L’Arche.
Qualifications, Required Skills and Position Requirements:
- Previous L’Arche experience (assistant, board member, volunteer, etc.) is an asset
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in human services field is an asset.
- HR experience and skills are an asset
- Strong business acumen skills
- Desire and ability to foster the growth of the Community as a community of faith having a dynamic spiritual life.
- Ability to work with spiritual leaders as appropriate for the needs of the Community to create and foster a climate of unity, acceptance of diverse faiths, and open communication.
- Ability to help everyone in the community find their place and voice resulting in a sense of belonging and appropriate ownership of the L’Arche Mission.
- Ability to actively listen, dialogue and, when appropriate, seek counsel.
- Effective at decision making and able to apply good judgement.
- Ability to effectively support and supervise members of the Leadership Team and others
- Ability to delegate effectively and responsibly, with appropriate level of supervision.
- Ability to be flexible and manage the stress of multi-faceted responsibilities and management.
- Ability to remain calm and provide focused and clear decisions and directives in times of crisis.
- Ability to follow-through on commitments in a timely fashion.
- Speaking and animation skills, ability to present/facilitate small and large meetings, including presenting to groups of people.
- Excellent oral, electronic and written communication skills; displays discretion, tact and maintains confidentiality.
- Ability to directly address tensions in relationships and model effective resolution practices.
- Open to learn and grow; able to give and receive constructive feedback. Commitment to personal and spiritual growth, self-care and humor.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Clear police check including vulnerable sector screening.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.