*** This posting and position are pending receipt of funding, terms are subject to change ***
Date Posted: October 13, 2021
Position Title: Administrative Assistant, YCafe Training Program
Location: Tong Louie YMCA (14988 57 Ave, Surrey, BC V3S 7S6)
This position will work on-site at Tong Louie YMCA
Terms: Term, Full-Time
Hours: 35 hours per week
Start Date: Anticipated for mid-November 2021
End Date: March 29, 2024
Salary: Under Review, includes benefits
Reports To: Manager, Employment Program - YCafe Training
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behaviour—we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 130 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health & fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 120,000 participants annually.
Nature and Scope:
The YMCA Cafe program will equip program participants from underrepresented groups in the labour force for jobs in the food services sector through classroom-based learning and on-the job training in our YMCA training cafe.
This position provides administrative support to the YCafe Training program, including support with data entry and statistical tracking of program participant information and outcomes. The work environment is very fast-paced, with a high volume of program participants, many of whom present with unique needs and challenges.
- Provides administrative support for: program promotion, participant intake and registration, processing of sensitive information, wage subsidy allocations and disbursements, completion of financial claims, and funder reports
- Maintains and updates computerized files, inventories and database systems.
- Provides program information by email, telephone and face-to-face meetings with potential participants and interested parties
- Communicate with program participants regarding workshops, schedules, program changes and respond to any program participant inquiries
- Administratively supports program staff in meeting the obligations of the funder. Assists with program needs, mass mail outs, formatting documents, filing, data entry, ordering office supplies, booking rooms, and creating schedules etc.
- Assist team members with general administrative duties such as photocopying, faxing, scanning or creating documents or materials
- Processes invoices and cheque requests and supports the program team with compiling data for financial reports
- Assists in the development, preparation and administration of program statistics regarding participants and projected goals for year.
- Assists with the creation and updating of participant and host files, and assists with file audits. Responsible for ensuring files meet audit standards.
- Identifies areas of concern, and problem solving regarding administrative responsibilities
- Models appropriate behaviours to staff in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; Establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship-building behaviours with staff and members. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner in internal and external forums;
- Travel occasionally (2-3x per year) between Surrey, Vancouver, and Chilliwack for meetings
- Occasional work may be required in evening or on weekend for special events
- Additional administrative projects and duties as assigned
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience providing administrative support in an office environment
- Certificate or Diploma in related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable and multi-task in high demand environment
- Demonstrated ability to make sound judgments and decisions; effective prioritizing and problem solving skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Computer proficient – Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Office365
- High degree of independence and initiative within a team environment
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity
- Emergency First Aid/CPR-C Certificate required, can be obtained within 30 days of start date
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated as per the timelines set out by the province - one dose by September 13 and second dose by October 24.
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
- Evolve in Professional Capability – Commit to being better
- Achieve Excellence and Authenticity – Show up with the best version of you
- Develop the Potential in Others – Help people grow and lead
- Create a Culture of Connection – Build bridges between people and partners
- Think and Act Strategically – Make good decisions and act on them
- Make an Intentional Impact – Advance the strength and cause of the Y