The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner, mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship, building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose summary:
This is a permanent, part-time position based upon 15 hours per week. Flexibility in scheduling is required. The work schedule is determined in consultation with your supervisor and may vary according to requirements of responsibility. Applicable shifts include a ½ hour unpaid meal break. The operational hours of this facility are 24/7.
Shifts: 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m., Saturday to Sunday
- Duties will vary dependent upon shift worked.
- Make beds and change linens as scheduled.
- Change discharged beds daily, discharge beds are done on same day as they check out.
- Private rooms – supply bedding (weekly) and clean discharges as required.
- Sweep, dust, mop & clean dorms.
- Dump garbage daily.
- Ensure that all bathrooms are clean and stocked with necessary supplies.
- Ensure that the dining room floor and walls are clean by sweeping and mopping the floor and washing down the walls as required.
- Maintain exterior grounds by ensuring all debris and snow is removed from the front and back entrances and walkway (sweep, wash off shovel, salt) if assigned.
- Maintain interior of building by:
- Sweeping and mopping all hallways as scheduled and washing the walls as required.
- Sweeping and mopping all stairs and the ramp as scheduled and the walls as required.
- Cleaning the elevator floor and walls.
- Sweeping and mopping the floors in the TV Rooms.
- Cleaning office floors, walls, and furniture as scheduled.
- Cleaning windows and doors as required.
- Cleaning spills, leaks etc. as they occur.
- Complete other housekeeping duties such as washing bedding, washing towels, packing laundry soap etc. if required.
- Strip and wax floors when required.
- Use approved cleaning supplies wisely and safely.
- Be courteous to residents, treating them with dignity and respect.
- Complete other housekeeping responsibilities as designated by management.
- Assist Front Desk Staff with emergencies as required.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Centre’s Policies and Procedure manual and make suggestions to improve it.
- Meet with the Shelter Manager for supervision as scheduled.
- Engage informal evaluation sessions with the Shelter Manager annually.
- Model appropriate qualities for this position i.e., self-motivation, punctuality, and personal hygiene.
- Commit to and sign the Centre’s confidentiality form.
- Attend staff meetings, workshops and conferences as authorized by the centre.
- Uphold & respect the moral and religious component of The Salvation Army.
- Represent The Salvation Army in a professional manner.
The above responsibilities must be performed in keeping with The Salvation Army’s Mission, Vision and Values, in a professional manner, upholding our code of conduct.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Must be in agreement and comply with the Mission Statement of The Salvation Army Booth Centre, Hamilton.
- Possess a combination of education and life-related experience in housekeeping / janitorial services.
- Possess knowledge of cleaning techniques, equipment, and cleaning materials.
- Possess excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Manage time wisely.
- Possess a current First Aid and CPR, non-violent Crisis Intervention and WHIMIS certificate.
- Demonstrate the ability to work both independently and under supervision.
- Ability to lift/carry loads up to forty pounds.
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application