Do you have a passion for Thrift? Are you motivated, looking for a role with a purpose, and have a desire to make a difference in your local community? We offer a unique way to serve through retail and recycling in support of the second largest social service organization in Canada!
If you are looking to further your career in retail consider joining our team. We offer a competitive total compensation package including paid sick time, vacation starting at 6% (3 weeks), and employer-paid RRSP contributions with additional voluntary matching opportunities, Health, Dental, EFAP, and LTD benefit opportunities. All within an environment that demonstrates our core competencies of collaboration, communication, composure, and being service focused in everything we do.
As a Store Associate you are to provide excellent service to guests, sort incoming product, receive donations and assist the Store Manager in the maintenance of all store operations. On a daily basis you will positively impact our guests, donors, and the communities in which we operate.
Our ideal candidate is a retail enthusiast who is service focused, can maintain their composure, and has the ability to communicate and build relationships. In doing so, the candidate will be action oriented, drive results, and will strive to become an expert in their role through continuous self-development and learning.
• Acknowledge guests and assist with their shopping needs
• Provide fast, efficient and accurate checkout service
• Promote upcoming sales or special fundraising events
• Maintaining neat and orderly sales floor, dressing rooms and check out areas
• Make brief announcements over the P.A. system
• Answer the telephone in a professional manner
• Replenish product
• Receive, assist, and thank guests for their donations
• The ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. to lift and move boxes and bags of donated items
• Sort through donations and evaluate items for quality and condition
• Price items according to established guidelines
• Meet assigned production targets for each shift
• Place clothing on hangers and items on racks, distribute to the appropriate area on the sales floor
• Ability to learn how to safely use a pallet jack
Store Associate Skills and Qualifications:
• Approachable with good interaction/people skills
• Good written and oral English (French where required)
• Eye for detail
• Minimum Grade 10 or equivalent
• Ability to push, pull, bend, crouch, twist, lift and carry
• Possess the ability to learn cash, pricing and sorting procedures, and product display and promotion guidelines
• Ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
• Minimum of one year of retail experience is preferred
• Must be resident in and eligible to work in Canada
We provide a passionate fast paced community environment where you will be immersed in our operations and service. You will experience firsthand the impact of our work in our communities.
Competitive compensation including:
• Staff discounts
• Employer paid RRSPs starting at 4% of earnings with additional contribution matching opportunities
• Vacation time starting at 6% (3 weeks)
• Paid sick time
• The opportunity to learn new skills, job advancement, and recognition programs
• Employee and Family Assistance Plan
• Long term disability coverage
You can expect:
• To join a hands-on work environment where you will be required to physically move through our operation while adhering to daily goals.
• We are operational 7 days a week and schedule our employees based on operational needs - days, evenings and weekends (Please Note: Our stores are open for shopping Monday to Saturday and Sundays we are open to receive donations).
As part of our ongoing commitment to ensuring a safe and healthy work environment for all of our employees, CSA approved footwear is required for all Retail and DRC positions within NRO.
At The Salvation Army Thrift Store, the safety and wellbeing of our Employees, Guests, and Donors has remained our priority throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. We are committed to serving our employees and communities by continuing to provide safe spaces for everyone. As such, effective October 4, 2021, all new employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to show proof of vaccination prior to their employment start date. The Salvation Army Thrift Store will consider reasonable accommodation for individuals who are unable to vaccinate for reasons protected by the Human Rights Code; accommodations can be requested in writing with appropriate documentation.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salvation Army Thrift Store - National Recycling Operations (NRO) supports the mission of the Salvation Army by generating funds and influencing positively the communities in which it operates. As part of one of Canada’s largest national charitable organizations, we adhere to the core values of Hope, Service, Dignity and Stewardship. By working with us, you help support The Salvation Army’s programs, services and emergency relief efforts by recycling and selling donated goods.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!