Full-time position (35 hours per week) starting ASAP. Position will be primarily Monday-Friday during regular office hours, with occasional outreach outside of these hours.
Pay: $20-23 an hour- dependent on experience
35 hours per week. This role will primarily be M-F with regular office hours, but BEST offers a flexible work schedule with some working hour requirements for operational needs, including the occasional after hours or weekend work.
BEST has a physical office in Chinatown providing the option to work on site, from home, or a combination.
Reports to: General Manager, BEST
About us: BEST, or Better Environmentally Sound Transportation, is a non-profit organization that has been promoting sustainable transportation since 1991. Our vision: Through sustainable transportation, we build vibrant, inclusive communities. Our mission: To activate better transportation options through initiatives, collaboration and leadership.
BEST’s current programs include The Bicycle Valet, a social enterprise that provides free and secure bicycle parking, primarily at events throughout Metro Vancouver, as well as at Granville Island in the summer. As events come back, this program is posed to grow considerably, including through a variety of partnerships.
Walk30 is a 5 week fun competition in the spring focused on walking for health, supported by health authorities, municipalities, schools and other workplaces. BEST hopes to grow this program throughout Metro Vancouver and across BC in the coming years.
Since 2010, BEST has run programs focused on improving and increasing transportation options for seniors. Currently, the focus is on a three year systems change project (Seniors on the Move) across BC, as well as delivering workshops to skill up seniors exploring transportation options beyond driving.
BEST is a small nonprofit working on big issues. As such, we all help each other out and collaborate to ensure we deliver the most value for our partners and work towards our organizational goals. All team members are encouraged to suggest new projects, new systems, and help shape program directions. This role will offer a range of projects and programs for the successful applicant to work on and gain an array of experience and make valuable contributions.
The Bicycle Valet:
- Work with The Bicycle Valet Manager and General Manager to:
- Refresh Bicycle Valet branding across physical and digital assets, including fencing, banners, signage, tickets, website
- Help with messaging around transition to bike valet digital app
- Work with Granville Island on creating new digital and physical assets for seasonal location
- Work with event clients to create custom digital marketing materials
- Identify new promotional outreach opportunities to increase clients and patrons using service
- Create marketing strategy/toolkit for new and existing event clients
- Work with new and existing program partners and sponsors to create customized physical and digital collateral
- Update and implement social media strategy and evaluation
Seniors on the Move:
- Help implement Communications Strategy for project
- Refining target audience and targeted messaging for different audiences
- Develop messaging and talking points around transportation as a ‘social determinant of health’
- Identify more seniors transportation key stakeholders across BC
- Supporting/marketing screening events of seniors transportation video
- Implement media strategy including identifying other relevant campaigns across BC
- Update media contact list
- Write media advisories for screening and promotional events
- Help identify other seniors transportation campaigns across BC and opportunities for collaboration
- Help implement active transportation and driver cessation campaigns
- Identifying and promoting other events/speaking opportunities to encourage greater promotion and awareness of alternatives to driving that are available
- Work with senior-serving and transportation agency partners to develop key messaging and promotional materials for transportation workshops
- Launch and help develop new website and quarterly newsletter
- Develop and implement social media calendar using existing BEST channels
- With evaluator, help with distributing and collecting evaluation tools, including surveys and petitions
- Help with Seniors on the Move coordination as needed
- Work with Living Streets Coordinator and General Manager to:
- develop new Walk30 website
- Create signage and print materials for spring event
- Support events with promotional materials
- Update toolkits, posters, promotional materials for workplaces
- Create branding for new projects
- Help with e-newsletter, sent every 1-2 months
- Help with updating the BEST website
Skills & Experience:
- Passionate about sustainable transportation
- Experience with digital and print marketing
- Experience with developing web content, key messages and communications materials
- Strong graphic design skills
- Strong multitasking skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Event coordination experience
- Experience managing own workload, able to prioritize tasks
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to problem solve, learn on the job
- Self starter, takes initiative and ownership
- Relevant education
- Experience working with seniors or seniors agencies
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders
- Background in sustainable or seniors transportation
- Experience with Collective Impact
- Experience with systems change
- Nonprofit experience
- Experience with marketing/advocacy campaigns