Location: Downtown Toronto
Position starts: January 14, 2022 or earlier
Term: Permanent full-time
Oceana Canada is an independent charity committed to rebuilding Canada’s oceans by winning science-based policy victories that increase biodiversity and abundance. We have successfully campaigned to end the shark fin trade, make rebuilding depleted fish populations the law, improve the way fisheries are managed and protect marine habitat. Oceana Canada is part of the largest international advocacy group dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Globally, Oceana has won more than 200 policy victories for marine life and habitats. From stopping bottom trawling in sensitive habitat areas to protecting sea turtles from commercial fishing gear, our victories represent new hope for the world's oceans.
We are seeking an Executive Assistant, based in our Toronto office. The Executive Assistant will provide principal administrative and project support to the Executive Director. The Executive Assistant handles confidential matters, facilitates departmental information exchange, and maintains a collaborative alliance with internal and external constituents. The Executive Assistant manages a varied, high-volume workload and works independently to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Work with the Executive Director to manage all relationships with stakeholders and partners, including external constituents and vendors.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director, such as month-end expense reporting, credit card statement reconciliation, communication with vendors (airlines, hotels, etc.) to resolve credit card discrepancies, booking travel.
- Act as the first point of contact for the organization, including responding to incoming calls.
- Use a high degree of tact, judgment and strong interpersonal skills to address timely correspondence and phone inquiries, minimizing handling by the Executive Director.
- Coordinate special project initiatives commissioned by the Executive Director, including maintenance of a customer relationship management (CRM) system and implementation of project management system.
- Ensure that all funders’ information entered in CRM system is reliable and up to date.
- Draft contracts in the computerized contract lifecycle management system and communicate with legal and other departments.
- Draft correspondence, briefings, meeting memos, departmental reports and presentations on behalf of the Executive Director.
- Manage internal and external events (in-person and virtual), including working with vendors, managing the virtual meeting platform, managing the guestlist, deploying communications through Salesforce, and assisting with the run of show.
- Organize and manage departmental and international meetings, including taking notes, reviewing action items, and maintaining documents.
- Follow up on assignments given by the Executive Director to direct reports and provide the Executive Director with periodic updates.
- Handle research assignments for the Executive Director using the internet, Oceana’s library and other sources.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration to draft documents for Oceana Canada Board of Directors meetings, including waivers of notice, resolutions and minutes. Communicate with the Board of Directors and distribute documents in advance of meetings.
- Support the Executive Director and the Major Gifts Officer on donor stewardship and other funding related activities, including managing timelines for funder reports, event coordination, collating updates from team members for funder updates, and drafting funder correspondence.
- Arrange document shipments with courier companies, order office supplies, and support the Director of Finance and Administration with single-use plastic free audits in the offices. \
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Education in project management, PMP or equivalent certification preferred, or equivalent direct work experience.
- Administrative experience is required. Must have excellent computer skills, including proficiency in using word processing, spreadsheet, scheduling, project management, and presentation software. Microsoft Office Suite expertise is required. Salesforce expertise is an asset.
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods. Ability to create and edit project documents, materials, and presentations.
- Ability to represent Oceana Canada in a professional, diplomatic, and responsive manner.
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical, professional, and upper management staff, build and maintain lasting relationships with business units, corporate departments, key managers, board members, major donors, and other stakeholders.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive data and possess strong judgment in handling communications, expenses, and budgets.
- Strong problem identification and resolution skills, including providing advice on process improvements.
- Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously, with speed, accuracy and courtesy, show initiative, and exhibit exceptional level of insightful planning and understanding of abstract concepts.
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines. Must be willing to accept varied workload, including travel and working outside of normal work-week hours.
- Must be driven and enthusiastic in leading the team in social events and building team morale.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Oceana Canada offers a competitive salary and benefits.
Oceana Canada is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, support will be provided in the recruitment process and accommodations for disabilities will be provided on request wherever appropriate. All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a criminal background check.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.