The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario: Toronto Branch (ACOTO) is the founding branch of a community organization that has been around since 1933. It was incorporated with the intent to help communities preserve buildings and structures of architectural merit and places of natural and beauty interest. The ACOTO is largely a community-member based organization with an executive committee that meets monthly to discuss heritage issues, ways to get involved in heritage advocacy and providing a voice for Toronto’s heritage.
The Toronto Branch of the Architectural Conservancy is seeking a development coordinator to grow and secure fundraising, sponsorship and membership. This position will also assist with the operations of the Toronto Branch to improve flow of work. The coordinator will report directly to the ACOTO Board. The initial contract will be for 6 months (with an option to extend for an additional 6 months) commencing in January 2021 for up to 20-25 hours per week at rate of $25 per hour. Most work is done remotely.
The job of the coordinator has two main components:
Fundraising and Membership Development
- Identifying and building relationships with potential donors to support ACOTO’s initiatives. Maintain accurate donor and donation tracking systems
- Coordinate stewardship and fulfillment for individual donors, including donation and pledge tracking, payment entry, acknowledgement letters, recognition, tax receipts, and record keeping for CRA and audit purposes
- Prospect research for new, potential resource, in-kind, funding opportunities
- Seeking out and applying for grants and awards on behalf of the ACOTO
- Assist with the preparation of research, proposals, stewardship reports, call and briefing notes, and other fundraising materials
- Facilitating membership outreach and engagement (membership recruitment, renewal, and donations). Liaison with Provincial Office on membership database and fundraising
- Regular reporting to ACOTO Board to assist with Financial Documentation
- Support other development events as necessary
- Conducting outreach initiatives to architects, heritage professionals, community heritage organizations, and other relevant groups to promote and assist in the use and usability of the ACOTO TOBuilt database
- Respond to emails in a timely manner and assist with file organization
- Assist with monthly newsletter content and distribution (utilizing MailChimp)
- Partnership outreach and growth (as in with other organizations, like TSA, Heritage Toronto, etc)
- Ability to organize or aid in the organization of ACOTO events. Includes assistance in event management (Eventbrite, promo including graphics and social media). This could include various types of events – walking tours, lectures, social gatherings, etc.
- Create Monthly Reports and attend ACO Toronto Board Meetings
- Posting on TOBuilt Instagram account and engage users. Accept TOBuilt entries on the backend before they are posted in the database
- Other duties and/or projects as required.
To be considered, candidates for the development coordinator position must have a degree from a valid university, and a strong track record in fundraising. Interest and experience in architecture conservation, in the history of architecture (preferably within Canada), and historical research are considered an asset. Previous working experience in an arts and/or culture company would be an asset.
- General knowledge of fundraising practices, procedures and standards/compliance
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
- Good time management with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines, and prioritize with minimal direction
- Strong judgement skills and absolute discretion with confidential and sensitive information
- Able to think critically and to exercise independent and sound judgement in anticipating needs and taking initiative
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule, including some evenings and weekends
- Knowledge of Adobe and Mailchimp considered an asset