Since 1975, The Mustard Seed Street Church (MSSC) has been fighting hunger while restoring Faith for families and individuals living in poverty, as well as the working poor, throughout the Capital Regional District. We are a Christian community offering a continuum of care that operates the Hospitality Centre for relationship building and advocacy, the Food Security Distribution Centre, the Family Centre that supports and empowers families and our addiction recovery program at Hope Farm Healing Centre in Duncan serving all who come to us without discrimination. We also offer church services for those seeking a place to belong and grow spiritually. Through these core programs we assist over 5,000 people each month with the help of more than 50 daily volunteers and many generous financial supporters.
The Volunteer Coordinator is the key point of contact between our volunteer base and the managers/leaders of our programs and ministries at all three locations. This role is twofold: to grow our volunteer base by reaching out to our community and to develop & empower our current volunteers. Create and develop the MSSC Volunteer Plan that starts with recruitment and screening and then guides new volunteers through the steps of basic level volunteering to leading teams, inspiring morale, and encouraging other volunteers.
The Volunteer Coordinator will lead the long-term health of the volunteer program by proving essential care and leadership to the volunteer team, from responding to inquires, solving schedule challenges, arranging tours There are administration tasks with this position especially in onboarding and tracking volunteer hours.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Recruit and screen potential volunteers for our three locations: Victoria, Esquimalt and Duncan
· Respond to general inquiries about volunteering and arrange appointments and tours
· Facilitate volunteers’ paper work and ensuring producers are followed
· Work with Senior Leadership to develop a volunteer handbook
· Enter volunteer contact information in our data base and securely file related documents
· Create volunteer role descriptions with consultation and input from area leaders and input these into our data base
· Produce reports from our data base as needed
· Lead the planning for annual volunteer appreciation event
· Communicate regularly with volunteers, in person and through a regular newsletter
· Be a Christian Ambassador for MSSC at events which highlight volunteerism
· Attend and participate in all relevant staff/team meetings and training opportunities as available
· Work closely with leaders in all areas
· Other duties as required
· Experience working with volunteers
· Volunteer certification/diploma or experience in volunteer coordination and willingness to take identified training
· A related undergraduate degree or a minimum of three years experience in volunteer management or related nonprofit management
· Computer Skills: working knowledge of Microsoft office; competency in data collection.
· Minimum 3 years related experience working in a nonprofit setting.
· Required – Acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Clearance
· Valid Driver’s license
Key Competencies and Abilities
· Incredible leadership skills and ability to complete large tasks
· Relational skills as this position has a priority on people
· Strong ability to multi-task; may have to work in busy environment with interruptions and be working on multiple projects at one time
· Ability to prioritize effectively and demonstrated organization skills
· Scheduling skills and ability to change direction or problem solve on the spot
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
· Ability to take positive initiative and provide recommendations
· Ability to receive constructive feedback
· Ability to work in a group environment and as an individual
· Team player mentality; leads by example
· Strong and demonstrable work ethic
· Demonstrated Discernment of people
· Ability to keyboard at a minimum of 50 wpm
· Proven ability to maintain confidential information
Terms of Employment
· This position is with The Mustard Seed Street Church and requires a person who has made a Christian commitment
· Must be in agreement with and willing to sign the staff code of conduct
· This position reports to The Director of Development
· Must provide an acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to work with vulnerable people.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!