Pacific Legal Education & Outreach's mission is to provide legal information, education and advice to low income artists and non-profits. It does this through two programs: the Artists Legal Outreach(ALO) and Law for Non-Profits (LFNP). For over 15 years ALO and LFNP have reached out across BC to provide information, education and advice to artists, arts organizations and British Columbia's 29,000+ non-profits. PLEO’s newest initiatives, the National Network of Legal Clinics for the Arts and the digital Legal Self Assessment and Learning Tool, will see the organization expanding its reach across the country in ground-breaking ways.
Reporting to PLEO’s Executive Director, the Communications Manager is responsible for planning and executing PLEO’s communications including digital communications, media relations, brand oversight, and supporting senior leadership in the growth of a major donor fundraising program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and Leadership
- Develop and implement an annual communications and fundraising plan
- Oversee the communications and fundraising budget
- Oversee staff or contractors responsible for PLEO events programming
- Digital Communications
- Plan and execute PLEO’s public-facing digital presence including web and social media
- Create and oversee the creation of digital collateral including web graphics, videos, and copy
- Manage data analytics and make recommendations for change based on this analysis
- Media Relations
- Oversee the development of press releases, manage media lists, and maintain media archives
- Pitch opportunities to boost PLEO’s work and bolster their media presence
- Provide media monitoring and inform senior leadership of any risks or significant trends and issues arising in media that relate to PLEO’s mission
- Brand Management
- Develop, maintain, and train staff on use of appropriate branding elements
- Produce, or oversee the production of, branded templates for use by staff
- Support PLEO’s major donor fundraising efforts, lead by the Executive Director, through planning, data management, receipting, and stewardship
- Work with the Executive Director in establishing annual fundraising goals and revenue targets
- Ensure integrity of record-keeping in accordance with relevant Canadian legislation and law
- Help steward a culture of fundraising within the organization
The ideal candidate will possess some winning combination of the following:
- Experience managing websites, social media accounts, newsletters, and curating print materials, and collecting data about the reach and impact of the social media endeavours
- Experience writing and editing press releases, newsletters, and/or webcopy
- Fundraising experience in the non-profit or charitable sector
- Experience working with lawyers and legal clinics in particular is an asset
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of media relations basics, including pitching, media list curation, interview prep, and press release writing and dissemination.
- Knowledge of fundraising, operational planning and budget oversight
- Demonstrated project and time management skills along with strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional written skills, including the ability to adapt style according to a variety of audiences, proofreading and copy editing.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a strong commitment to building relationships.
- Able to organize, prioritize, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- A drive to succeed and increase the potential of the major donor program
We actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about PLEO, please see: https://www.pacificlegaloutreach.com/