Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
This employee will work in an assigned primary 24-hour group living/supported living residence for adults with a developmental disability; who may also have behavioural challenges, mental health diagnosis and/or physical or complex medical needs. They will provide delivery of direct support services to all individuals within the residential setting, and ensure the physical and emotional well-being and safety/security of all individuals within the residence in alignment with YWCA Hamilton’s Mission and Vision Statements.
- In cooperation with program supervisor, full time staff and other part time and relief staff, will perform all duties and responsibilities in a productive, professional and cooperative manner which will contribute to the overall goals of the department and in keeping with general policies and guidelines of YWCA Hamilton;
- Ensure the physical and emotional well-being of individuals we support is maintained;
- Meet QAM Compliance and MCSS Legislation 299/10 Standards;
- Provide physical assistance/support as needed by individual in all areas of activities of daily living including but not limited to: physical lifting/transfers of residents, pushing/pulling mobility equipment/devices, bathing/toileting and hygiene routines, medication administration, meal preparation/feeding, chores/housekeeping, finances, socialization, recreation, and programming;
- All necessary administrative/documentation tasks are performed: client file documentation, implementation of behaviour support plans, behaviour data collection, daily logs, individual programming, checklists, chore lists, or other reports/tasks as assigned;
- Support services offered will maintain or increase individual’s independent living skills and personal growth;
- Meet compliance standards set by MCSS;
- Partake in regular team meetings in order to communicate and share information including achievements, progress, concerns and generate solutions;
- Attend on-going professional development and training opportunities offered to program staff;
- Participate in assist in training of newly hired program staff;
- Assist residents in meeting outcomes on their annual ISPs;
- Implement and carry-out individual program plans, Behaviour Support Plans and protocols;
- Contribute in the development, planning, implementation of day/evening/weekend community and in-house recreation and social activities;
- Promote personal growth and social inclusion;
- Program and agency policies are adhered to and reviewed regularly;
- All necessary administrative/documentation tasks are performed: MAR sheets, data collection, logs, checklists, chore lists, incident reports, or other reports/tasks as assigned in an accurate and timely manner as required;
- Ensure that housekeeping/cleanliness/maintenance of program areas or accommodations standards are met;
- Establish positive professional relationships with staff, individuals, families, and other community service agency providers;
- Ensure YWCA Hamilton workplace health and safety policies and procedures are followed at all times and act to reduce workplace hazards;
- Report all workplace hazards and follow YWCA Hamilton health and safety policies.
- Developmental Service Worker Diploma (DSW), Social Service Worker Diploma (SSW), currently enrolled in SSW program, Community Service Worker Diploma (CSW), Autism and Behavioural Sciences, Concurrent Disorders Diploma;
- Minimum 1-2 Years work experience in a residential group living setting;
- Experience working with individuals who display challenging behaviours;
- Emergency First Aid/CPR Certification, NVCI Training;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications including but not limited to: Word and Outlook;
- Working from a feminist, anti-oppressive/anti-racist perspective;
- French Language Skills an Asset;
- Must be able to work designated schedule as assigned;
- Excellent communication skills both verbal & written;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police Check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Attend and participate in all YWCA Hamilton mandatory training;
- Must be willing to provide a pre- employment medical examination and annually thereafter.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disAbilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.