Position Title: Support Worker
Reports to: SASC Support and Advocacy Coordinator
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time
Normal Working Hours: Based on operational needs
This position is included under the CUPE Local 1936-26 Bargaining Unit. This position is in-person.
The Alma Mater Society (AMS) is the University of British Columbia’s (UBC) student society, and works to improve the academic, social and personal lives of the 56,000 UBC students at its Vancouver campus. The AMS also runs nine food and beverage outlets, a catering and conference operation, and the AMS Student Nest, providing on-campus employment opportunities and generating revenue that goes directly back into supporting the students at UBC.
The AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) is a service for people of all genders and identities located at the UBC Vancouver campus. The SASC is committed to creating a safer campus community free from sexualized violence, which involves providing support services and education on campus. Run by full time staff and students since 2002, the SASC serves UBC students, staff, faculty, and people with a connection to the UBC campus through various community resources and services. The SASC is looking to hire one (1) part time Support Worker to facilitate the necessary services needed on campus. This position is permanent, part time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide crisis and emotional support and safety planning for survivors of violence
- Provide legal, medical, and campus-related advocacy including hospital accompaniments for clients
- Maintain up to date client files and other client administration
- Assist with the facilitation of support groups
- Assist with the development and maintenance of support resources
- Support a campus coordinated response to sexual assault and take part in case consultation meetings
- Work in collaboration with other on and off campus resources to effectively support survivor’s needs
- Attend staff meetings and supervisory meetings
- Uphold the SASC’s standards of confidentiality and respect
- Work collaboratively with all of the SASC staff and volunteers
- Participates actively in the logistics and light housekeeping duties at the SASC
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant post-secondary education and/or combination of training/education/experience
- Specialized knowledge of sexual assault and trauma-informed care
- Experience providing hospital accompaniment and legal advocacy
- Well organized, flexible, self-motivated and ability to work and make decisions independently and collaboratively
- Experience working with diverse communities is an asset
- Experience working within an educational context, and/or within the UBC campus community is an asset
- Knowledge and experience working from feminist/anti-oppressive perspectives
- Follows confidentiality policies and procedures
- Evening and weekend availability
The AMS SASC provides support services to people of all genders and identities and operates from a feminist and anti-oppressive framework. We view lived experience as expertise and consider it to be equally as valuable as academic and professional experience when reviewing applications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized communities and intersecting identities to apply, including Indigenous people, racialized/people of colour, poor and working class people and those on social assistance, people living with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ folk.
The Alma Mater Society of UBC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status or any other characteristic protected by law. We invite all qualified candidates to apply online with their resume and cover letter. Due to the large volume of resumes we receive at the AMS, we are only able to contact those we are interested in interviewing and cannot reply to email/phone/walk-in inquiries regarding application status.