The Canadian Teachers’ Federation (CTF/FCE) is seeking a Finance and Office Clerk to join our staff team. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Finance and Office Clerk provides a high level of support to the CTF/FCE Finance and Operations teams. The clerk must work independently and collaboratively to process business transactions like accounts payable and receivable, disbursements, expense claims, and receipts using the CTF/FCE accounting software programs (e.g. QuickBooks). Furthermore, the clerk will assist with the preparation of various reports.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced and qualified Finance Clerk who meets the following requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working as an Finance Clerk (additional consideration for those with experience in an association, the education sector, or a not-for-profit environment);
- Diploma in Business Accounting or equivalent qualification;
- Excellent organization and time management skills and techniques; ability to meet tight timelines, prioritizing work and handling challenging situations and tasks which come up simultaneously or unexpectedly;
- High capacity to compile, organize, and summarize data and information accurately and efficiently, applying accepted policies and procedures;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (additional consideration may be given to candidates who are bilingual – English and French);
- Ability to establish priorities for workload;
- Ability to act responsibly and ethically when working with sensitive financial information, whether it is information for the organization or for individuals;
- Solid and creative critical thinking, problem solving, and decision-making abilities;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- High proficiency in QuickBooks, Microsoft Office (Excel), Outlook, and SharePoint;
- Commitment to maintaining high quality publicly funded public education and to the contribution of unions to society.
Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- Reviewing, processing, and reconciling of Accounts Payable and other payment requests;
- Preparing and processing of Accounts Receivable;
- Preparing bank deposits, as required;
- Assisting with the preparation of monthly and annual account reconciliation and variance analysis, including reconciliation of credit card statements;
- Preparing and adjusting monthly journal entries;
- Assisting with the verification, and reviewing of financial reports for expenses of officers, directors, and staff while on authorized CTF/FCE business;
- Assisting with review of financial reports for the international programs, including those with foreign currency translation;
- Uphold all company procedures and accounting principles;
- Assisting with the set-up and logistics of various staff and committee meetings.
- General office duties such as stocking supplies, delivering mail, filing, photocopying and other duties as required.
- Provide administrative and finance-related support to other staff as required.
The CTF/FCE offices are located in Ottawa. Therefore, the successful candidate must work in Ottawa.