Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Responsible for Front Desk reception, customer service, security, and membership and program sales, and providing an overall welcoming environment in to members, guests and residents in cooperation with other YWCA Hamilton staff.
- Provides welcoming and supportive services to members, residents and customers at the front desk of the YWCA building/facility;
- Welcomes, greets and assists members, residents and customers in their inquiries, issues and emergencies both in person and on the telephone in a friendly and helpful manner; accurately redirects or escalates as required;
- Works in cooperation with all other staff working in the facility as well as facility residents;
- Promotes and sells YWCA programs, providing program information and requirements to members or customers;
- Maintains reception area in a clean and tidy manner at all times;
- Manages all payment transactions, including balancing daily cash and float;
- Processes payments of permanent and temporary residents;
- Operates with all standard computer and MS Office software;
- Processes all computer registrations using ActiveNet;
- Provides facility access control and monitors building security, escalating issues as required;
- Receives deliveries, sorts and distributes mail for staff, residents and tenant groups;
- Manages keys for rooms booked by external rental groups and internal room bookings;
- Ensures confidentiality of all client and employee information;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Follows and maintains appropriate record keeping and maintains operating procedures in accordance with YWCA Hamilton policies and procedures and confidentiality/privacy policies;
- Works safely in accordance with YWCA Hamilton health and safety practices and policies and reports all hazards and potential hazards immediately;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Full-time 37.5 hours/week; Part-time 15-29 hours per/week; or Relief 0-14 hours per week (no guaranteed hours). Hours subject to changes based on facility needs;
- May be required to work a variety of day, afternoon, evening and weekend hours.
- Completion of 1-year college in office administration or equivalent;
- Minimum 1 to 2 years’ experience in customer service;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective to day to day work and strategic planning;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent customer service skills in person, phone and electronically;
- Strong organization skills, and demonstrated ability to multi task;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools;
- Comfortable multi-tasking and prioritizing tasks without guidance;
- Ability to work a schedule that includes all shifts including days, afternoons, evenings and weekends;
- Must have a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disAbilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.