Supportive Independent Living Worker (Females ONLY & Arabic Speaking)Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 15-30
Scheduled Hours: Hours depends on the needs of the client - may include days, evenings and weekends.
Number of Positions: 2
Compensation: $20 - $23/Hour
302-31 Edmonton Oak House - supports an Arabic speaking, female client diagnosed with major depression and intellectual disability, dealing with trauma from past experiences.
Requires a permanent, part time FEMALE WORKER with Arabic language skills
We are seeking a female Supportive Independent Living Worker to support an independent adult with learning independent living skills (meal preparation, household chores, laundry, etc.), community access (accessing transportation to educational, recreation and community programs/events), and English language learning.
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement:
This a gender-specific position based upon the behaviour and needs of the persons served.
*Complex need rate ($20.09 - $23.09/hr) paid for direct support of complex needs clients. Regular rate ($17.09-$20.09) paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. *
In Your Role You Will
- Teach Arabic-speaking client English language skills
- Assist client with dealing with past traumas.
- mentor/teach life skills including communication skills, coping with emotions and change, budgeting, household management, sexual health, boundaries and self care, relationships, self expression, social skills, coping tools, community awareness, personal safety, etc.
- promote inclusion in community activities involving artistic, educational, recreational programming, etc..
- link the client to community support services.
COVID-19: Please be aware that governments and/or funders within our service sectors are mandating services be provided by employees that are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be required at time of hiring.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Arabic speaking
• 2 years experience with individuals with a developmental disability, Acquired Brain Injury or mental health issues. Other relevant experience: Community Disability Support Worker, Education Assistant, Special Needs, Behaviour Interventionist, Youth Worker
• Diploma or Degree in Disability Studies, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Community Rehab, Child and Youth Care, Healthcare Aide, PSW or equivalent
• TOEFL english language training skills
• Valid Class 5 Driver's License and vehicle is needed for this position
• Demonstrated skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• Able to collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Able to work with minimal supervision on an interdisciplinary team and cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Display sound judgment and best practice methodology.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills are required as all files are electronic
• CPR/First Aid ( if necessary, will consider providing training)
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
• Abuse Protocol training (if necessary, will consider providing training)
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada provides social services to children, youth, adults and families facing difficulties. We provide support and services to persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth, offenders who wish to rejoin and contribute to their community and adults recovering from an acquired brain injury.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!