At HIV Community Link, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. HIV Community Link’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in all that we do. Diversity is more than a commitment at HIV Community Link - it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and any other difference that makes us all unique. We encourage people living with HIV, visible minorities, those with lived experience, and persons with culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Reporting to the Executive Director and supervising a team of three employees, the Director, Community Relations is responsible for leading the community relations activities of the organization, including communications, fund development, government relations, volunteerism, and events. The Director, Community Relations is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and works collaboratively with employees, funders and community stakeholders to develop and nurture relationships in order to facilitate the achievement of our vision, mission, and strategic plan goals.
This is an exciting time to join HIV Community Link as the Director, Community Relations! We are in the process of a re-branding project which will include a new organization name that better reflects the current services we provide to the community to reduce risks associated with sexual health and substance use. The Director will oversee the implementation of the new name and brand both internally and externally.
This is a full-time position, 35 hours a week, with primarily daytime hours from Monday to Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work is required in order to support event and fund development activities. When it is not necessary to be in the office, a hybrid work-from-home arrangement is available.
- Provides strategic oversight for marketing and communication strategies, fund development, government relations, events, and volunteerism.
- Demonstrates and facilitates a culture of philanthropy within the organization.
- Actively participates as a member of the leadership team and contributes to facilitating a healthy organizational culture. Acts as an ambassador of the organization and models the values of diversity and inclusion.
- Works collaboratively with all stakeholders to ensure service excellence, fiscal accountability and strong outcomes.
- Develops evaluation and outcome measurements for the deliverables of the Community Relations team.
- Provides supervision and support to the Community Relations Team, which currently consists of a Community Relations Coordinator, Fund Development Specialist and part-time Volunteer & Events Coordinator. Approves and monitors employee time, schedules regular supervision, completes probationary evaluations and annual performance reviews for all direct-reports.
- Supports the Executive Director to build and sustain relationships with current, new and potential stakeholders.
- Develops annual communications strategy in order to achieve the goals and outcomes of the strategic plan. Oversees the implementation of all communications activities.
- Develops and supports the implementation of strategies for content creation, social media campaigns, and marketing material development.
- Manages media inquiries, identifies opportunities for media engagement, and fosters positive working relationships with media contacts. Coaches internal subject matter experts in responding to media inquiries and presentations.
- Manages and enforces organizational standards and branding and provides quality assurance on all external materials.
- Identifies key policy issues in the provincial and federal governments, and provides strategic advice to the Executive Director on those issues
- Creates and implements annual government relations plan with clear objectives and strategies
- Develops project specific government engagement plans
- Identifies opportunities for the organization to participate in and influence the development of public policy in areas central to its mandate
- Keeps government stakeholders informed of the organization’s impact, activities, needs, and concerns.
Fund Development and Events
- Develops annual fund development strategy in order to achieve the goals and outcomes of the strategic plan.
- Develops and supports the implementation of strategies for the annual giving program, major gifts, planned giving, grant solicitation, in-kind donations and specialized campaigns.
- Leads the implementation of key agency events with support from the Volunteer and Events Coordinator and Community Relations Team, including the Splash of Red Gala and the AIDS Walk/Run.
- Facilitates identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors.
- Negotiates and establishes sponsorship to support fundraising activities.
- Leads the implementation of internal and third-party fundraising and awareness events.
- Ensures the effective use of databases across the team.
- Practices ethical fundraising in keeping with the mission and values of HIV Community Link and in accordance with charitable giving standards.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Marketing, Communications, or Business Administration
- Five or more years’ experience in the areas of fund development and/or communications with increasing levels of responsibility, including staff supervision, and a proven track record of outstanding results.
- Experience in financial impact reporting to donors and funders and
- Solid experience in business development and proven ability to develop goal-oriented strategies.
- Experience in professional use of new media and social media platforms to achieve development goals.
- Experience in the non-profit sector or healthcare setting preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong collaborative working relationships and stewardship both internally and externally with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to lead multiple long and short-term projects simultaneously, meeting all related deadlines and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and ability to make decisions and problem solve independently, effectively and creatively.
- Goal-oriented and persuasive in the contact, follow-through and completion of acquiring gifts and sponsorships.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, both individually and in public speaking capacities.
- Experience with DonorPerfect would be considered an asset.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Provision of a criminal record check with vulnerable sector search is required. A positive criminal record check will not necessarily preclude a candidate from being hired - decisions will be made on an individual basis and all information will be kept confidential.
The salary will be negotiated based on experience and education. Please include your salary expectations in your cover letter.
HIV Community Link Society offers a comprehensive health and dental benefits package, including access to EAP services and an RRSP matching program. Employees start at 3 weeks’ vacation per year, plus a complimentary week off between Christmas and New Year’s, and receive additional days off including personal days, sick days, and birthday.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please send your cover letter, resume, and any other relevant material to support your application via email quoting job reference HIVCL – 155.
You must be available for in-person/online interviews. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.