One (1) permanent part-time position (21 hours /week)
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Dentist is responsible for providing clinical dental services for publicly-funded dental care program for low-income seniors; providing clinical advice and direction to the registered dental hygienist working in the clinic; recommending and performing oral examinations; formulating treatment plans, informing/obtaining consent from clients and families of treatment plans; liaising with community partners and external stakeholders to promote oral health and access to our services; and develops program policies and ensures adherence to dental clinic policies and procedures.
Clinical Treatment Program Functions:
- Provides a broad range of basic dental treatment, such as dental restorations, extractions, oral hygiene procedures, root canal treatment on selected teeth.
- Performs emergency dental procedures.
- Meets with patients to discuss and treat dental concerns and establish a plan for treatment.
- Prescribes appropriate medications and administers local anesthetic.
- Operates dental x-ray machines, radiographic processor and interprets radiographs. Ensures proper x-ray quality assurance and safety, and the proper disposal of biohazard and/or environmental waste.
- Monitors and performs infection prevention and control practices (IPAC) to ensure patient safety following IPAC best practices.
Records and Reporting Functions:
- Verifies and applies medical history prior to treatment by consulting with family members and physicians when necessary. Refers clients for medical testing if warranted.
- Receives referrals from private dental and medical providers, and makes referrals to other appropriate dental practices and specialists. Builds referral pathways with other dental and medical providers.
- Keeps and maintains patient dental records.
Quality Assurance and Due Diligence Activities:
- Recommends and develops program policies and ensures implementation of policies and procedures in a dental clinic.
- Provides clients with access to social/health/community resources, and collaborates with the partner agencies.
Liaison, Communication and Customer Service Activities:
- Responds to inquiries and resolves concerns, as appropriate.
- Ensures that services provided meet Regional customer service standards.
- Participates on committees, work groups, task forces and special projects, as assigned.
- Manages information in accordance with legislation and corporate standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with CSCHN’s objectives.
- May occasionally be required to respond to emergency situations outside of normal business hours, as related to the Departmental Emergency Plan.
Qualifications / skills/ specific requirements:
- Successful completion of a Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree from a university recognized by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario and eligible to practice clinical dentistry in Ontario.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in working in a clinical dental practice treating patients.
- Must be a current member in good standing with the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively with staff and clients.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in French and English.
- Comprehensive knowledge of dental procedures, tools and diagnostics.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including communication, teamwork and collaboration, and personal ownership.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications.
- Ability to travel to off site locations in a timely and efficient manner, as required.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
- Have a valid driver's license and access to a motor vehicle.
- A valid first aid and CPR certificate would be an asset.
- Provide a criminal record check including the vulnerable sector check.
- Une preuve de la vaccination COVID-19 (ou un billet médical d'exemption) sera demandée au moment de l'embauche.
Please send your application with cover letter and curriculum vitae written in French or English
We will receive applications until the position is filled.
The CSC is committed to the principle of equal access to employment. Accommodations are available upon request. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.