The Central Okanagan Emergency Shelter Society (COESS), operating as Kelowna Women’s Shelter (KWS) since 1980, provides a range of services and programs, with a focus on the prevention of intimate partner violence and support services for women and children, during and following an abuse crisis.
Located in the heart of the Okanagan Valley, the Kelowna Women’s Shelter is growing as an organization. We are currently seeking a Director, Programs and Services to take us to the next level.
Reporting the Executive Director this position will be responsible to:
Program and Services Management
- Work with the executive director to establish program direction for KWS and adherence to the agency’s overall service delivery model.
- Work with the executive director and operation/program manager(s) to provide strategic planning, implementation management, and ongoing evaluation of programs and services.
- Ensure the development and delivery of high-quality programming and outcomes that are consistent with KWS mission, vision, and mandate.
- Through regular staff meetings and ongoing feedback, encourage and develop the Program’s team and seek input from operational/program manager(s)and staff for suggestions regarding program delivery and development.
- Develop new programs including program design, implementation, evaluation, and monitoring.
- Oversee the ongoing review of operational aspects of programs and services with the operational manager(s) including development and implementation of long- and short-term program goals and plans.
- Oversee the coordination of all operational maintenance/repairs as required for program facilities’/locations.
- Provide guidance to operational/program manager(s) to ensure appropriate interventions with clients (trauma-informed, client centered, culturally appropriate, etc.) and provides support and guidance on client case management needs.
- Lead research and implementation of monitoring and evaluation frameworks of all Program deliverables, data, and records to drive continuous improvement and impact of KWS Programs.
- Build and maintain alliances and partnerships between KWS and community stakeholders to promote effective utilization of services and continuity of care concerns.
- Provide on call support for staff and performs other duties as required.
- Work with the executive director and leadership team, participates in the development and monitoring of KWS budgets, grants, and reporting requirements.
- Ensure compliance with agency and funder program reports, policies and procedures, and contract requirements.
- Work with HR team to identify capacities needed (skill sets and competencies) to achieve programmatic and organizational goals including hiring, orientation, training.
- Identify the ongoing need of reports for professional development and direct continuous learning.
- Define duties of direct reports, ensure performance, provide regular supervision and evaluation.
- Conduct annual performance assessments of direct reports.
- Provide leadership to Program and Service staff in conjunction with the operational/program manager(s) to ensure program and individual outcomes are developed, implemented, and achieved.
- Ensure necessary program guidelines and policies are developed and adhered to, program standards and safety issues are developed and followed and reporting documents are met.
- As a member of the leadership team, participates in developing long term goals of each program in the portfolio.
- Provide reports and information to the executive director as requested, including but not limited to monthly narrative and statistical reports, minutes of team meetings, annual goals and objectives, strategic plan updates, and input into the annual report.
- Attend committee and/or board meetings, as requested by the executive director, to present information.
- Participate and assist in the coordination of KWS projects within the leadership team.
- Encourage open and positive/supportive communication within the Program and Services teams and other KWS members and community partners.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills to staff by being a positive role model and presenting a professional image.
- Post-secondary degree in social work or related field
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in a similar role/organization.
Skills & Abilities
- An excellent knowledge of legislation relevant to the delegated programs and services.
- An excellent understanding of women and children’s issues, as they relate to the KWS and the delegated programs and services.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and delegate work.
- Demonstrated ability to develop policies and procedures.
- An ability to apply analytical and problem-solving skills, in order to provide direction and guidance to delegated staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in relating to employees, board members, the public, community organizations, and others as assigned, including the ability to inspire and motivate.
- Demonstrated ability to implement and use information technology.
- Working knowledge of budgetary practices, and ability to apply those practices in the preparation and monitoring of the delegated program and services budget(s).
- Ability to foster a healthy organizational culture, and to encourage teamwork and collaboration.
- Ability to resolve complex/contentious issues.
This is a full-time position, 37.5 hour per week, Monday to Friday offering a competitive salary and benefits package.