Kids and Youth Program
Reports to : Program Manager – R. W. Tegler Youth Centre
Based at : R. W. Tegler Youth Centre (Edmonton)
Hours of work : Full Time. Shifts will vary from 7am-3pm to 10am-6pm.
Wage : $15/hour + 4% Vacation pay
Hope Mission is a non-denominational Christian inner-city rescue mission based in Edmonton, Alberta. Hope Mission also has branches in Calgary, Red Deer, Wetaskiwin, and 2 summer camps.
Mission Statement: Hope Mission exists to serve, strengthen, and uplift men, women, children and youth through the life-changing gospel of Jesus Christ.
Hope Mission has a vision that men, women, youth and children who come to our doors
would come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour.
This vision can be fulfilled only if all staff are diligent in
serving, strengthening and uplifting people
in the name of Jesus Christ.
An Outreach worker at the Tegler Youth Centre will work with the Outreach team to run after school programs for children and youth (ages 6-18, in person or online), prep and deliver bagged lunches to schools as part of the School Nutrition Program, and deliver weekly food hampers to families.
- Teamwork: Able to serve alongside a team of outreach workers to run an engaging program for kids and youth.
- Passion for & Commitment to working with children, youth, and families who face a variety of obstacles and challenges in their lives.
- Program Facilitation: Able to engage a group of children and youth by leading games, and Bible lessons.
- Multi-Tasking: Able to juggle competing needs and prioritize completion of tasks and projects
- Crisis Response: Able to use conflict resolution & de-escalation techniques to manage crisis & conflict situations
- Flexibility: Willingness to adapt as program needs and opportunities change with a joyful attitude.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop supportive mentoring relationships with children and youth
- Build rapport with families, schools, and community partners
- Plan, prepare and implement active and emotionally supportive programs & events for children and youth
- Lead groups of children and youth in games, perform in skits, lead object lessons and biblical devotions. Lesson planning for activities listed above.
- Promote positive relationships and choices during program times through effective behaviour management techniques
- Responsible for entering & filing registration forms, and documentation of critical incidents
- Responsible for set up and clean-up of program space
- Provide and serve snacks and meals for children & youth
- Make and deliver bagged lunches to Edmonton schools
- Make and deliver food hampers to families in north Edmonton.
- Other related tasks and duties as required
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Physically able to lift up to 50 lbs, run and play active sports and games with youth
- Excellent communicator
- Conflict resolution and verbal de-escalation skills
- Knowledge of resources and supports available for children, youth, and families in Edmonton
- Degree in Youth Work, Child & Youth Care, or related education an asset
- 2-3 years of experience working with children and youth in an after school setting
- Standard First Aid certification not required but an asset
- Being a Christian Organization we require our employees to be in agreement and sign the Hope Mission Statement of Faith.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada on a full-time basis.
- Able to provide Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search and a Child Intervention Record Check
- A letter of reference from a ministry or church is an asset
- Adherence to Hope Mission’s Policies and Procedures
Start Date: Immediately
1. Resume and
2. Cover letter stating why you would like to work in a Christian Ministry