Schedule: 30+hrs/wk; 8hr day shifts, including weekends and holidays.
Number of Positions: 2
Employment, Day Program and Community Access
One-on-one and group day support programs are a community-based mix of employment preparation and community involvement for adults with developmental disabilities.
WJS staff at the Day Support Program in Slave Lake, Alberta, encourage individuals with developmental disabilities to live a full life with personalized supports based on individual needs. Our commitment is to provide programs that maximize progress and independence, support each person's unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration and inclusion in the community
Slave Lake is a small town in northern Alberta about 200 km northwest of Edmonton and a similar distance southwest of Fort McMurray. It is located on the southeast shore of Lesser Slave Lake.
As a Disability Support Worker, you will support persons with behavior, emotional or physical challenges at the day program and around Slave Lake, with a range of job search supports, career development services and on-the-job coaching. Together you will set goals, identify challenges and celebrate success. Staff work closely with community employers and service groups to match employees with employers, focusing on building independence, positive self esteem and employability.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist individuals, according to functioning abilities, with hygiene, personal care and daily living skills - such as preparing meals.
• Encourage independence and community integration skills such as accessing community services through vocational, recreational, leisure activities.
• Work with persons served to set career goals and obtain suitable employment, working toward financial independence.
• Model & encourage socially acceptable behaviors, good citizenship and life skills.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
COVID-19: Please be aware that governments and/or funders within our service sectors are mandating services be provided by employees that are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be required at time of hiring.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Previous experience supporting persons with developmental disabilities
• Education in a related field
• A valid Class 5 Drivers license, reliable vehicle to transport clients & appropriate insurance
• Assist and support individuals with developmental disabilities to develop and work towards the achievement of personal goals.
• Encourage opportunities for social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individuals to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Assist individuals with daily living skills, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!