Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Supports the efficient daily operation and activity in after school programs, camps, and recreation programs and activities, working collaboratively with the Recreation Specialist. Plans and implements quality programs for children 4-12 years, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act, and Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture program guidelines.
- Responsible to support the operation and administration of the YWCA Hamilton’s after school programs and day camps, ensuring all YWCA policies and procedures and Child Care Early Years Act requirements are met;
- Develops and delivers quality programs (professional activity days, holiday break, summer camps, and after school) that supports and promotes learning, and the healthy development of children by guiding the programs to align with YWCA Association goals and objectives;
- Works closely with the Recreation Specialist to implement curriculum and routines to meet the needs, interests and talents of all children;
- Creates and supports a stimulating and nurturing environment for children to learn and grow, ensuring the safety of children enrolled in the after school program, camps, and recreation programs and activities through direct supervision, and attendance protocols;
- Ensures classroom environment is kept clean and neat, including all activity and program areas, and common spaces, including toy washing and sanitizing;
- Administers authorized medications and creams in accordance with policy;
- Captures and monitors the children’s development goals and progress through weekly documentation;
- Ensures that written records are accurately documented and maintained including attendance records, symptoms of ill health, daily communication logs, fire drills etc.;
- Assists with the marketing of programs, captures success stories, testimonials and photographs;
- Prepares reports and statistics for Supervisor as required;
- Provides ongoing monitoring to assess program quality within the programs;
- Demonstrates and models strong leadership behaviours, supports and coaches program staff;
- Utilizes strategies to increase diversity and inclusion and involve children and girls of newcomer families into YWCA programs;
- Identifies program needs, makes requests or purchases appropriate equipment and supplies;
- Ensures positive, professional communication with parents/families, community partners, outside agencies, co-workers and support staff, an on an ongoing basis;
- Works with limited pieces of child and family confidential data, with duty to report;
- Resolves conflicts or highly sensitive situations on a regular and recurring basis;
- Works within standards and set procedures, escalates to Recreation Specialist as required;
- Represents the YWCA within the community, as required;
- Complies with the Child Care Early Years Act, Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture guidelines and all YWCA Policies;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Participate in mandatory organizational and departmental trainings and meetings;
- Responsible for submitting expense, mileage and petty cash reports;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Works a 20-hours work week;
- Ability to use frequent light to medium physical effort: lifting up to 20 kg (44 lbs.), bending and stooping;
- Must be able to work outdoors for at least 2 hours daily year-round; may be exposed to heat, humidity or cold.
- Completion of CYW, Recreation & Leisure, Recreation Therapy, SSW, a member of the Ontario College of Teachers or equivalent;
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with children;
- HIGH FIVE® Principles of Health Child Development (PHCD) training is required;
- Food Handlers Certificate is an asset;
- Knowledge of Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture guidelines is an asset;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must provide a TB test, proof of Tetanus (within 10 years) and proof of MMR immunizations;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective to day to day work and strategic planning.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Must be computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset;
- Vehicle is an asset.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to: https://easyapply.co/a/756efbbc-ebb0-40b6-892e-73746581cc88
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disAbilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: All applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.