Youth Worker Counsellor
Brampton, ON | Full-Time
Our Place Peel is a growing, community-based, non-profit charitable organization that is focused on providing shelter and outreach support for homeless and disadvantaged youth in the Peel Region. We are a leading organization recognized in the community for our commitment to providing youth in need with a safe environment and access to services to help them achieve independence and foster growth.
Our Place Peel’s mission is to empower youth through prevention, intervention and support in accessing safe and sustainable housing. Their vision is for all youth to have a place to call home.
We are searching for an energetic, enthusiastic and highly motivated Youth Worker that will work out of one of our Emergency Youth Shelters located in Brampton and Mississauga. The Youth Worker role is a fundamental role at Our Place Peel to support the youth within the housing first framework that is strength-based and trauma-informed.
We are looking for youth workers for day, evening and overnight shifts.
- Complete intakes and support with facilitating programs for youth entering the shelter
- Leads and implements a client driven care path plan by following up with residents on outstanding documents or actions required
- Provide a positive environment to youth coming to the shelter
- Forms professional relationships with a broad spectrum of community service agencies to be able to refer youth
- Assisting youth in daily routines including cooking, cleaning and life skills development
- Completing intakes, answering phones, and monitoring building for safety including the completion of hourly security checks.
- Provides supervision, support and/or crisis counseling to residents living at the shelter
- Maintains positive and open communication with the staff team.
- Complete documentation of shift activities and incidents in appropriate logs and client records
- Responsible for entering client data for monthly, quarterly and annual funding reports
- Support in facilitating the weekly resident meetings
- Diploma in Social Services or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- 1-2 years experience working with youth in a shelter/residential setting
- Knowledge of homelessness, mental health and addictions an asset
- Knowledge of housing first for youth, trauma-informed care, and harm reduction practices an asset
- Knowledge of resources within the Region of Peel, specifically for youth
- Effective problem solving, conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work rotating shifts including some weekends and holidays
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License, access to a vehicle and $2,000,000 (minimum) liability car insurance coverage are mandatory
- Valid CPI/ UMAB and First Aid/ CPR certifications
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Police Check that meets the standards of Our Place Peel
- Must be flexible to work at Brampton and/or Mississauga location
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to applicable legislation