Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Responsible for YWCA’s bi-weekly payroll for 400+ salary and hourly employees, collaborates with the Payroll Manager to provide support as needed for the HRMS and assists in answering employee payroll enquiries.
- Processes and administers bi-weekly payroll;
- Liaises with leaders and employees regarding payroll related inquires;
- Verifies bi-weekly timesheets for accuracy in Payworks HRMS system;
- Audits timesheets to ensure no duplication or other issues are apparent;
- Follows up on all incorrect timesheets and documents with the appropriate departments/individuals for correction and approval;
- Ensures payroll compliance with Collective Agreements for unionized employees;
- Tracks and adjusts pension credit entitlements;
- Prepares Record of Employment (ROE) for employees as needed;
- Reviews and confirms all payroll entries including (but not limited to) new hires, change of status (including benefit entitlements), terminations, and bank deposit information for accuracy and completeness;
- Responds to enquiries and resolves data discrepancies, provides hard-copy back-up and/or written explanations;
- Prepares all remittance reports related to payroll including statutory remittances, pension contributions, union dues, group benefits, garnishees, Family Support, insurance, and charitable donations then forwards to Accounts Payable for processing;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive financial information, employee information and payroll records;
- Liaises with Human Resources and prepares various reports as required (e.g. union reporting requirements and seniority listings);
- Prepares year-end close-off relating to income tax, Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Employment Insurance (EI), Employer Health Tax (EHT), Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB), T4/T4A tax forms, and pension adjustment calculations;
- Provides support to internal Payworks users, including training sessions and resource guides;
- Liaises with Payworks directly to address any system issues;
- Responds to enquiries, resolves or directs calls to appropriate individuals;
- Support requests for information from auditors or regulatory agencies;
- Maintains files and documentation in accordance with YWCA policy;
- Ensures confidentiality and privacy of financial records, employee information, and payroll records;
- Provides process and system improvement recommendations;
- Assists with system changes as needed, filing, and general correspondence;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Recommends changes to policies, processes, and systems as appropriate to improve and enhance service delivery;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision, and values;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Completion of 2 years College Program in business administration or equivalent preferred;
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) or Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification considered an asset;
- Minimum 2 years’ full-cycle experience in payroll (Payworks experience highly preferred);
- Experience with Microsoft Excel considered an asset;
- Strong, proven aptitude with numbers, and detail-oriented approach;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and also work effectively in a team;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to: https://easyapply.co/a/18026fad-35c1-4253-ac00-49d43cc8616f
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disAbilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: All applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.