The position will be located at the YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin reporting to the STELIP Project Manager and be advised by the St. Thomas-Elgin Local Immigration Partnership Council. The Communication Coordinator will foster community relationships and manage the communication of STELIP. They will keep current on information and trends to identify and strengthen the local capacity to improve the economic, social, and civic participation for all newcomers. Through social and other media channels the facilitator will reach out to stakeholders, business, and the public to promote STELIP initiatives and build an awareness of the value newcomers bring to Elgin County and St. Thomas.
- Communication Skills (Written, Verbal)
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Planning and Organizing
- Adaptability/ Flexibility
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Decision Making and Judgement
- Accountability and Dependability
- Development and Continual Learning
- Intercultural Competency
- Ethics and Integrity
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Social Justice, or Social Sciences or relevant field.
- Understand social and economic issues.
- Understand issues relating to settlement in smaller, rural communities.
- Understand and appreciate cultural diversity and intercultural sensitivities.
- Knowledge of federal, provincial, and municipal social policy.
- Computer skills in word processing, presentation software, design software.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated history of community involvement.
- Existing familiarity with the St. Thomas-Elgin region preferred.
In collaboration with the Manager:
- Consistent with the local needs and the research results, support the development and implementation of the strategic actions.
- Collaborate and facilitate the development and implementation of community events and initiatives.
- Manage social media platforms and coordinate campaigns to align with the initiatives and strategic plans.
- Develop communication materials including key messages, FAQs, presentations and notifications.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the engagement and communication tactics and services.
- Write and circulate the STELIP quarterly newsletter.
- Prepare and submit minutes for respective meeting.
- Provide support for narrative reports on the activities of the council and reports for submission to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
- Maintain and further develop the STELIP Council consisting of community stakeholders who are committed to community cooperation and advocacy.
- Keep current on the local, national, and international immigration trends, economic opportunities for newcomers, and services.
- Support the Manager and Director in all areas of the project and related partnerships.