Are you an experienced Marketing and Communications Specialist with an entrepreneurial mindset, non-profit experience, a passion for nature, who enjoys working as part of a team? Located in one of the most picturesque spots in Vernon, BC, our client is a not-for-profit organization whose goals are to increase public awareness, appreciation, enjoyment and stewardship of nature in the Okanagan by providing firsthand opportunities to see, experience and learn of the Okanagan’s unique and diverse natural history, showcase its natural areas and features through information programs, displays, nature-related activities and events for all ages.
Reporting to the Centre Manager, the Marketing & Communications Coordinator will directly contribute to the organization’s mission and is responsible for developing and implementing the organization’s marketing and communications strategy, and community engagement campaigns. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator is responsible to maintain brand consistency, and for the development, implementation, and coordination of messages, and to incorporate the highest standards for external communications. This position will also assist in the planning and organizing of organization events, fundraising activities and public events.
The incumbent must thrive in a team environment with limited supervision, and quickly comprehend and act on changing priorities when necessary. This position will work closely with other staff, collaborating with others in the organization, including the Centre Manager, Fundraising & Communications Board Committee, and volunteers.
Communications & Marketing
- Work with the Board and staff to develop and maintain the strategic marketing and communications plan.
- In collaboration with the Board Committee, develop marketing strategies for events, programs, and campaigns.
- Support fund development initiatives with directed campaigns, partnerships and events as well as seek, develop and build strong relationships with sponsors, donors, a variety of local media including radio stations, TV stations and newspapers.
- Implement communications goals and strategies and coordinate organization-wide design, messages and content generation, including electronic and print communications.
- Manage and maintain corporate marketing, promotions & communications branding, including style, logo and brand of the Nature Centre. Maintain graphics and photography files.
- Draft and edit marketing communications materials for internal and external communications, including newsletters, social media posts, media releases and presentations.
- Deliver public speaking presentations and live media interviews as required.
- Represent the organization at various community events; engaging public about programs and events.
- Implement the organization’s digital strategy and measure its reach and impact:
- Support website content design and maintenance.
- Writing, editing and distributing email communication, blog posts and newsletters for target audiences with support and input of the staff.
- Support the management of organization’s social media presence.
- Collaborate with Communications, Fundraising and Events Committee members to refine and implement Fundraising strategies and plans.
- Assist the Centre Manager with compiling and/or developing materials to submit to granting or other funding organizations.
- Develop and maintain media contact lists.
- Develop strategies to encourage new or increased contributions.
- Recruit sponsors, and participants for fundraising events.
- Direct or supervise fundraising staff, including volunteer staff members.
- Secure commitments of participation or donation from individuals or corporate donors.
- Other Fundraising duties as required.
- Collaborate with Communications, Fundraising and Events Committee members to refine and implement communications and events strategies and plans.
- Participate in event sub-committees and may chair some event sub-committees as required.
- Emcee events, give public speaking presentations and live interviews with media as required.
- Seek, establish and maintain relationships with partners, donors and event sponsors including media sources.
- Manage marketing budgets and work closely with Event & Volunteer Coordinator on Event logistics and budgets.
- Collaborate with the Event & Volunteer Coordinator to organize events and volunteer resources.
- Participate on the Communications, Fundraising and Events Committee, Event Committees and other committees as requested.
General / Administrative
- Administrative tasks related to marketing and communications coordination, reporting, and activity completions.
- Responsible for Marketing and Communications budget management, tracking, and reporting.
- Present a professional and pleasant customer service environment and ensure positive communications for building and maintaining great working relationships with all stakeholders, including staff, volunteers, members, visitors, and community at large, delivering value to each of the stakeholders and maintaining organization’s reputation and commitment to service.
- As part of the organization staff team, contribute collectively to supporting operational needs of the organization. This includes answering phones, covering the front desk, cleaning/garbage, participating in various fundraising events, program activities and awareness campaigns.
- Perform reasonable tasks requested by the Board in an orderly and timely fashion.
- Develop a department procedural handbook.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
HR &Workplace Safety
- Ensure that staff and volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with WorkSafe BC Standards, organization’s policies and mission.
- Identify risks and understand their impact, provide input into developing policies and procedures that will eliminate or reduce those risks.
Qualifications, Abilities and Educational requirements:
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years of experience in communications, marketing, fundraising and event planning, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- A degree or diploma in marketing, fundraising management, communications, or similar preferred. Equivalent work experience may be considered.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience working within non-profit, tourism, educational or customer-focused organizations is an asset.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills for writing social media posts, press releases, advertisements and communications/marketing materials.
- Confident public speaking and presentation skills for emceeing public events and media interviews.
- Creative and innovative with high attention to detail, good spelling, grammar and proofreading.
- Event planning experience for public events for youth, families and other audiences is an asset.
- Strong computer skills, MS Office, database management and record-keeping skills.
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work well with and engage a diverse group of staff and volunteers.
- Self-directed with an entrepreneurial attitude. Highly organized with strong coordination skills. Ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve. Able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Able to work under pressure and adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Collaborative leadership and team-oriented work style; able to train, supervise, mentor, motivate and inspire volunteers.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the role and organization program scheduling needs.
- Skill in social media platforms and website updating/management.
- Photography, graphic design and video production abilities are an asset.
- Passionate about nature, education and working with a great group of people while having fun!
The position requires candidates to:
- have a valid BC Driver’s License and reliable transportation to get to and from the Nature Centre
- have or willing to obtain Occupational First Aid Level 1 (or acceptable equivalent)
- provide a Criminal Records Check
- proof of double COVID vaccination is required due to working closely with vulnerable populations.
Start date: ASAP
Monday to Friday with occasional weekends and evenings for events.
This is not a remote position. There may be some flexibility around working hours however the successful candidate is required to work on-site 90% of the time.