The Fresh Roots Good Food Team operates our educational farms towards our production, sales and educational goals. In this key role under the direction of the Good Food Farm Manager, the Market Lead will operate our produce markets and CSA program. We are looking for a skilled retail manager, however will train inexperienced applicants who are motivated to learn.
- Location: Split between South and East Vancouver and our other Metro Vancouver sites according to programming needs (Coquitlam and/or Boundary Bay Schoolyards).
- Dates: Seasonal Position, Early May to Mid-October
- Hours: Full-time, Average 40 hrs/week. Expect more hours during peak season and less in the shoulders.
- Compensation: $17-$18.75/hr, DOE
- Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday, must be available to work Saturday market days and evenings on Wednesdays
- Note: Details such as dates and location are dependent on Canada Summer Jobs funding and may change in response to public health directives related to Covid 19.
- Lead our Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday Farmer’s Markets. This includes driving produce to and from the market every Saturday in a truck with a trailer.
- Lead CSA: weekly communications with the Farm and Communications Managers, writing the newsletters, member outreach, and overseeing pickup at markets
- Work with SOYL Facilitators to Lead Youth at market: establish a supportive atmosphere for skills acquisition, guided by values in food security and accessibility
- Maintain market tents, tables, scales, cash box, float and iPad
- Manage the walk-in cooler, dry storage, produce inventory & cull rotation
- Track and report market sales, including compiling the year-end Market Report
- Assisting the Farm Manager on the farm sites across Metro Vancouver with harvest, field & crop maintenance, and youth facilitation
- Experience and passion for leading teams of peers and youth
- Experience in market / retail management, with farm market experience an asset
- Skillful in welcoming customer service
- Able to work independently and as part of a small, diverse team.
- Able to manage, multi-task, prioritize duties, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Motivated to learn new skills and evolve the market
- Able to effectively communicate across various mediums including social media
- FOODSAFE certification or willingness to obtain
- Must pass a criminal record check to be able to work with children and vulnerable populations
- Must meet Canada Summer Jobs Requirements
- Must have BC Driver’s License Type 5 and able to drive a large pickup & trailer.
- Access to reliable transportation for commute to Delta, Coquitlam, or Vancouver