The Programs Specialist will enhance the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations’ work by supporting the development, delivery and evaluation of key programs and initiatives aimed at building capacity in the non-profit sector in Metro Edmonton.
Reporting to the Director of Learning & Development, the Programs Specialist is an integral member of the Learning & Development team and will provide leadership in the areas of programming, engagement, and volunteerism.
The Programs Specialist is responsible for sustaining ECVO’s reputation, relationships, learning and development portfolio and supporting the growth and development of Edmonton’s Volunteer Centre. Working with a professional staff team, the Programs Specialist provides key leadership to ensure the organization is meeting the diverse needs of members, stakeholders, and the Metro Edmonton voluntary sector.
The Programs Specialist will work closely with the Learning & Development team to enhance ECVO’s presence as a primary resource in supporting growth, resilience and transformation within Edmonton’s non-profit sector.
The Programs Specialist will:
- Support the development and delivery of learning opportunities for non-profit board members and employees. Support the development and delivery of events and networking opportunities, maximizing the ability of non-profit leaders to be adaptive, transformative, and collaborative.
- Support effective communication with ECVO members and stakeholders to ensure offered training opportunities are timely, relevant and responsive.
- Foster and maintain relations and partnerships with key partners and stakeholders for the purpose of program development and delivery.
- Provide planning, logistical and leadership support for ECVO-led special initiatives.
- Identify, develop, and promote tools and guidelines for capacity-building, which help organizations achieve the greatest possible impact.
- Support the Learning & Development team to identify themes, trends, and areas of growth to direct future programming.
- Support the development and delivery of Volunteer Connections as per ECVO’s contractual obligation.
- Support Metro Edmonton non-profit agencies and potential volunteers to come together during National Volunteer Week.
The Programs Specialist will take the lead role in supporting ECVO’s engagement and outreach activities to Edmonton’s non-profit organizations, especially in the area of volunteerism.
The Programs Specialist will:
- Support ECVO’s role as a community convener by participating in the planning, development, and delivery of community events.
- Promote Volunteer Connector (volunteerconnector.org) as the primary resource for both non-profit agencies to post volunteer opportunities, as well as volunteers in Metro Edmonton to find suitable placements.
- Actively participate in local, provincial, and national volunteerism related networks on behalf of ECVO, to support the collective impact of volunteering, ensuring that trends, opportunities, and information is shared in inform decision making.
- Ensure that volunteers are recognized for the impact that they have on community during National Volunteer Week, International Day of the Volunteer, and as is appropriate during the year.
- Promote and raise awareness of ECVO’s brand with the non-profit sector and amongst other stakeholders.
- Develop strategic networks and partnerships to improve the capacity-building environment amongst Edmonton’s non-profit community.
- Engage in activities that support the growth and development of ECVO.
- Ensure that programs, events, and initiatives are evaluated as per the ECVO evaluation framework.
- Work directly with the Director of Learning & Development and the Director, Strategic Communications to provide insight and expertise in the areas of capacity-building and volunteerism.
- Ensure that the program and engagement portfolio of ECVO is supported by evidence-based research and data.
- Support the implementation and evaluation of ECVO’s strategic plan and communications plan.
- Other activities as assigned.
Education & Experience
- University degree in human services or a related field with 3-5 years capacity-building, volunteerism, or program development experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability in the development of learning and development activities.
- Thrives working in a team-oriented environment;
- Ability to plan, organize, and make independent decisions for the benefit of the organization;
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines with a high degree of personal initiative;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with proven experience in presenting complex ideas and concepts;
- Skill in developing and maintaining partnerships and collaborative relationships;
- Skill in evaluation planning, design, and analysis;
- Demonstrated ability to apply evidence and research to their work;
- Ability to synthesize and distill key information for broad consumption by the non-profit sector;
- Self-starter who takes initiative, can successfully prioritize, and manage a varied workload;
- Demonstrates exceptional facilitation, presentation, and communications skills;
- Exhibits attention to detail and is committed to producing accurate and high quality work;
- Adjusts to evolving business needs and directions with a high degree of personal initiative;
- Creative problem solving and judgement skills;
- High level of professionalism, integrity, confidentiality and accountability;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and an ability to learn and work in other software applications.
- A positive attitude;
- A willingness to challenge convention and a desire to learn;
- Strong personal motivation and work ethic;
- Attention to detail is essential;
- Capacity to think critically and creatively;
- Enjoys working independently, in partnerships, and in team environments;
- Courageous and willing to take measured risks;
- A really good sense of humor.
Key Relationships & Accountabilities
As a member of the ECVO team, the Programs Specialist will work closely and collaboratively with other ECVO staff and contractors in the functional areas of communications, evaluation, administration, and fund development, and others as they develop.
As a team member, the Programs Specialist will:
- Consult and provide support to other team members;
- Participate in regular staff meetings;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of ECVO’s strategic goals and activities;
- Practice effective and positive communication amongst team members.
The Programs Specialist develops and maintains key relationships and partnerships with other organizations, funders, government representatives, and volunteers. In these relationships, the Programs Specialist represents ECVO honestly, respectfully, and ethically.
This position is a full-time position, with the standard work week of 37.5 hours over five days. Some additional work outside the regular work day is expected for evening and weekend meetings and attendance and participation at special events.
In addition to office closures on statutory holidays, the ECVO team enjoys additional wellness days and an open vacation policy.
Additional details about this position are outlined in the Programs Specialist Position Description.