Job Title: Community Living Support Worker – Adults with a Disability – Day Programs – Permanent Full-Time
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Provides proactive support to adults with developmental disabilities and their parent(s)/caregiver(s), to enhance their success in day-to-day community living. Services include behaviour management, life skills training, crisis intervention, education, and advocacy, either on a one-to-one basis or in a group environment.
The health and safety of our team and communities is paramount to Phoenix Human Services Association. Accordingly, we require anyone joining our team to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
Location: EXTENSIONS Day Programs (Victoria, BC)
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday; 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes intake assessments by acquiring historical and current information regarding the person being served. This process may include interviews with the person served, parent(s)/caregiver(s), professionals, and others.
- Creates an Individual Service Plan (ISP) based on evaluating individual strengths, needs, abilities, and preferences of the person served and their parent(s)/caregiver(s). The ISP embodies goals for support and strategies for goal attainment.
- Ensures that persons served and their parent(s)/caregiver(s) actively participate in developing the ISP.
- Plans, organizes, and implements educational, recreational, social, and life skills-based programming, as per the ISP.
- Monitors, reviews, and evaluates progress made by the person served and modifies programming as required.
- Acts as an advocate for the individual, including attending meetings with the person served and their parent(s)/caregiver(s).
- Recognizes, assesses, and develops strategies to manage potential and emerging crisis situations.
- Identifies and/or makes referrals to social, financial, recreational, and educational services in the community, to further support the identified needs of the person served. Liaises with other agencies, professionals, government officials, and the community as necessary.
- Works with team members and the Program Manager to address global needs of the program and the persons served.
- Participates in working groups, committees, and other similar agency activities, as required.
- Dispenses medication to persons served, as required according to program and other regulatory standards.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- A diploma in human services or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience, is required for this position.
- At least one-year previous work experience, preferably including program delivery experience in the Community Living sector
- Full participation in this program is required. This may include a moderate to high level of physical fitness, as program activities may involve standing, walking, bending, lifting, recreational activities, and social events in the community, as well as light housekeeping duties. Direct delivery of this program may require provision of a high level of personal care (toileting, bathing, etc.), physical support, and assistance with mobility, including transfers, for specific participants. The participants who attend this program have varying levels of mobility, balance, and health needs.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license is required.
- While the agency will post externally concurrently, unionized staff will receive first consideration.
This position is open to all gender applicants and requires union membership.