Hours of Work Per Week: 24hrs Weekly
Disabilities program 304-38 Vegreville Eiffel 65, a residential home in Vegreville, supports/supervises an individual(s) with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities including: developmental delays, Disruptive Behavior Disorder and PTSD.
Community Disability Support Workers (CDSW) provide high quality, personalized care, helping those we serve to overcome their challenges and develop their strengths. We ensure a full life by nurturing, creativity friendships and encouraging community inclusion.
Challenging behaviours can occur on a daily basis and therefore, only applicants with a minimum of 2 years experience working with persons with developmental disabilities who have significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma will be considered for this position. Please provide a cover letter detailing your suitability for this role.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
In Your Role You Will
• Support/supervise clients' complex behavioural, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities)
• Provide client-specific, individualized supports (IPP) in a consistent, healthy & safe environment
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis. May be required to perform physical restraints (holds) on an individual to stop an individual from violent or destructive behaviours that place themselves or others at risk.
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community.
• Participate in vocational, recreational, leisure activities.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports and document notes & observations regarding the client
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence
• MUST HAVE 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma.
• High School Diploma. Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Social Work, Special Education or related field
• Valid class 5 driver license (or GDL and 2 years driving experience) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Trauma Informed Practice, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Managing Aggressive Behvaiour (UMAB), Conflict Resolution, Food Safe
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!