Disability Services Worker (Nights Sleep) - Slave Lake
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Slave Lake, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 36-48
Scheduled Hours: 12hr shifts (7pm to 7am)
Rotating Schedule: Week 1: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday Week2: Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday
Compensation: $19.72 - $21.30 /Hour PLUS employer-paid health & dental benefits
344-31 NorthEast House
WJS Canada works to improve the lives of persons with developmental disabilities by encouraging them to be self directed and to make their own decisions. In order to build social, communication skills and life skills our team members offer support to encourage and enable independence, self expression and creativity in the persons we serve. Behavioral and health-related support is tailored to their individual needs.
The front-line DSW sleeps at the client's residence and is available, if needed, to assist the client during overnight hours.
**This position requires a female worker**
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This is a gender-specific position based upon the behavior and needs of the persons served.
***Awake hours (7-11pm) are paid at regular rate. Sleep hours (11pm-7am) are paid at $15/hr***
Typical overnight shift may include:
• 7pm (4 awake hrs) - assist/model nightly bed-time routine (personal hygiene, brushing teeth, etc.) ensuring a consistent, healthy and safe environment for persons in care.
•11pm-7am (8 sleep hrs)- You will be provided your own private bedroom, within the residence and sleep hours are paid at minimum wage $15/hr. In the event of an emergent situation, sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• 7am - day shift arrives, shift exchange
In Your Role You Will
• Help the individual dream about possibilities, plan and achieve.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, sometimes hands on care is required.
• Maximize participation/inclusion within home & community
• Minimize risks in the client`s physical environment.
• Model socially appropriate behaviours.
• Work with minimal supervision & cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Medication administration or first aid, as needed.
• Collect/file information, prepare correspondence, ISPs, and progress reports according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges & staff communication.
COVID19 - Governments/funders continue to increase the mandate for full vaccination status, therefore, employees of WJS must prepare and/or be prepared to be able to meet this requirement.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Two (2) years experience working with individuals with a developmental disability.
• Grade 12 High School Diploma or GED with a preference for College Certificate or Diploma
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
• Demonstrated skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills are required as all files are electronic
• CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training ( if necessary, will consider providing training)
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
We recognize that equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) is an important element in our work and in our day to day lives.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk after 3-months employment) including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!