JOB OPPORTUNITY: Casual Youth Worker – Safehouse
Casual Youth Worker – Safehouse Competition # 42-22
ABOUT DIRECTIONS YOUTH SERVICES
Directions believes in the resiliency of Vancouver’s youth who are at-risk, homeless, and street-involved. For many youths, home is not a place of safety or belonging. We strive to create spaces and build connections with youth who are facing challenges of street life, substance use, mental health concerns, and disconnection from their communities. Directions is committed to being a community leader in harm reduction work and fostering low-barrier spaces where all youth are welcome.
Directions Youth Services provides 24/7 support to assist youth under the age of 25 to connect with supports, get counselling for trauma, mental health or substance issues, and transition to more permanent housing. Directions runs 12+ programs inclusive of shelter and drop-in, safe houses, detox and other unique programs for youth throughout Vancouver and employs more than 220 passionate, team members.
Directions is a division of Family Services of Greater Vancouver (FSGV), which for more than 90 years has provided a variety of essential resources for children, families and individuals in the Greater Vancouver community.
This is a casual position that reports to the Program Manager. This position is located at our undisclosed Safehouse location which is a voluntary co-ed residential program for at-risk youth aged 16 – 18 years who need a safe place to stay. This position works in a team of two staff members. The youth are encouraged to develop goals and links to appropriate services to address their needs. Safehouse accepts intakes 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and it serves youth from all over the Lower Mainland.
▪ Create rapport and trusting, non-judgmental relationships with youth in Safehouse.
▪ Support and monitor individual service plan for youth in collaboration with the youth, connected resources and colleagues.
▪ Maintain professional, positive relationships with partners including VCH, MCFD and service providers.
▪ Maintain accurate logs, record keeping, and data entry related to youth files and statistics.
▪ Maintain facility upkeep including cleaning, laundry, inventory and restocking of supplies.
▪ Responsible for keeping youth files and ensuring information is accurate, current and clear.
▪ Responsible for maintaining knowledge of current best practices and available resources.
▪ Ensure clear and concise communication and information transfer to colleagues and management including shift change. directionsyouthservices.ca
▪ Train and supervise program volunteers in collaboration with the Program Manager.
▪ Monitor petty cash float and maintain accurate financial records.
▪ Attend and actively participate in staff meetings, supervision sessions and performance evaluation process.
▪ Adhere to all program and agency policies and procedures.
Education and training:
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
Directions Youth Services offers purposeful careers, serving the most vulnerable members of our community. This role offers you the opportunity to make a positive impact in our community. We support career development and training for staff to reach their potential and offer mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
If this describes you, please submit your application to us through our website.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.
Work Hours: on call shifts 24/7
Salary/Pay Grade: 7, Step 1 $22.93 per hour
Location: Directions Youth Safehouse
Start Date: April 15, 2022
Closing Date: until filled.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number #42-22 in email subject line) outlining your interest and relevant experience to your contact information to for follow-up.
**if you are an internal candidate, please indicate “Internal Candidate” in the Comments section at the bottom of the online application**
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!