Finance Advisor– Full Time, Permanent
Are you an experienced finance professional who is looking for fulfilling work in the non-profit sector with supportive colleagues and a flexible work culture? Are you a mission-aligned individual with a strong focus on providing excellent service to community partners?
MakeWay is looking for a proactive advisor to provide timely financial expertise to the grassroots, community-led projects on our Shared Platform. You are the main finance liaison between a portfolio of Shared Platform projects, and operational support staff. As a Finance Advisor, you enjoy using your skills and expertise in directly supporting projects with their financial management and reporting needs, so they are free to achieve greater impact. You will have the opportunity to assist with ongoing improvements to systems and processes.
The Finance Advisor, Shared Platform reports to the Shared Platform Finance Manager and is highly collaborative with other Finance Advisors and the Shared Platform support teams.
MakeWay builds partnerships and solutions to help nature and communities thrive together. Our Shared Platform is home to over 60 projects working on community-led solutions that further our mission. If our values align with yours and you want to learn, grow and develop within a supportive team that shares knowledge and cares, then we want to hear from you! Join us and make a difference.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensure analysis, financials and reports for project staff, operations support staff, and MakeWay management are timely, accurate, and meet the needs of stakeholders.
- Directly support project strategic decision-making by assisting with budgeting, cash forecasting, and analysis.
- Respond to queries and provide technical support to project staff, operations support staff, MakeWay management, and other stakeholders.
- Assist the Finance Manager with delegation of tasks, monitoring of operational support effectiveness, and providing training opportunities for a variety of audiences.
- Collaborate with operations support staff to ensure effective and efficient financial management of projects.
- Identify and collaborate on improvements to systems, processes, reports, and technical tools.
- Prepare ad hoc reports as required.
Who You Are:
- Manages complexity: You can manage a high volume of requests in a timely manner, are flexible to changing priorities, and comfortable acquiring data from multiple and diverse sources when solving problems.
- Financial acumen: You understand financial reports & systems and use financial analysis to inform strategic decision-making.
- Customer focus: You gain insight into customer needs and establish & maintain effective customer relationships.
- Interpersonal savvy: You comfortably communicate with people across levels, functions, culture, technology and geography.
- Communicates effectively: You demonstrate open communication, actively listen, and can translate complex information into clear and simple language.
- Collaborates: You work well with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives, balancing autonomy & collaboration.
- Balances stakeholders: You understand internal and external stakeholder requirements and make fair decisions that further the Shared Platform vision and benefit all parts of the organization.
- Action oriented: You readily take on new challenges, seize opportunities and display a consistent can-do attitude.
Experience You Bring:
- 3+ years’ experience at this level
- High attention to detail paired with analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with and learn multiple software systems
- Ability to prioritize and deliver multiple assignments in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Exceptional planning and time management skills
- Self-starter with initiative and the ability to work independently within a close-knit team environment
- Advanced Excel skills
It would be a bonus if you have:
- Non-profit experience
- An accounting certificate or diploma, or in final stages of achieving a certificate or diploma
- Experience with Netsuite or other ERP system
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM system
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- Salary of $65,464 - $77,108 (dependent on experience)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Three weeks’ vacation
- Committed colleagues
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
In your cover letter please share what makes you an idea fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay team. This position will stay open until filled.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!