Job Title: Vocational Counsellor for Youth and Young Adults - Rise Up Youth Employment Program - Full-Time, Permanent
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Supports and provides skill development to clients in areas related to obtaining and retaining employment. Develops partnerships with community employers, including creating jobs. Caseload of 12–15 job seekers in various phases of service (Discovery, Job Development, Job Maintenance).
The health and safety of our team and communities are paramount to Thrive Social Services Society. Accordingly, we require anyone joining our team to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
Hours of Work:
Flexibly scheduled hours between Monday and Friday, typically between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.; periodically including some weekend hours, early morning or evening shifts for community-based job coaching to meet needs of program
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Completes intake assessments (Discovery) by acquiring historical and current information regarding the person being served. This may include interviews with the person served, parents/caregivers, professionals, and others.
- Creates an Employment Plan based on evaluating individual strengths, needs, abilities, and preferences of person served. Identifies barriers to employment, goals for support, and strategies for goal attainment.
- Ensures persons served and/or their parent(s)/caregiver(s) and Community Living BC and other community professionals, as applicable, actively participate in developing an Individual Service Plan (ISP).
- Locates employers in the local business community and finds employment opportunities that match the interests, skills, and abilities of the clients (Job Development).
- Contacts potential employers to promote the program and develop relationships, obtain job leads, and encourage employers to participate in placements.
- Provides clients with information on employment opportunities compatible with their interests, skills, and abilities, by analyzing potential jobs and identifying specific tasks to match jobs to clients.
- Provides support and skill development in areas related to obtaining employment, such as job search strategies, job application/negotiation, résumé writing, and interview skills.
- Monitors, reviews, and evaluates progress made by the person served and modifies programming as required.
- Acts as an advocate for the individual.
- Identifies community resources that will support the needs of the participant
- Recognizes, assesses, and develops strategies to manage potential and emerging crisis situations
- Liaises with other agencies, professionals, government officials, and the community as necessary.
- Works with team members and the Program Manager to address global needs of the program and persons served
- Maintains complete, legible, and organized documentation on the activities of the person served, progress made on goals established in the ISP, and all other documentation required by the program
- Meets timelines for submission of all documentation established under the program and Accreditation Standards
- Maintains best practice standards as identified by the Thrive Policy & Procedure manual and Health & Safety handbook
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor
- All job duties follow strict guidelines regarding COVID-19. The health and safety of employees and clients is of the utmost importance to Thrive Social Services.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- A Social Science Degree, Community Support Worker diploma, and/or an equivalent combination of education and training are required.
- Current certification in Emergency Level C First Aid required.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Supported and Customized employment models of service
- Demonstrated working knowledge of community supports and services available to individuals with barriers to employment, particularly youth and youth at risk
- Knowledge of theory, principles, and practices related to Community Living Services
- Good written and verbal reporting skills
- Experience in sales, networking, developing new contacts or community partnerships preferred
- Job has physical demands, such as walking, standing, bending, and lifting.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Use of a vehicle with business insurance is required.