Hours of Work Per Week: 30
Scheduled Hours: Week# 1: Tues, Fri-Sun: 0900-2100, Week# 2: Wed, 0900-2100
Compensation: $21.91 - $24.93 /Hour PLUS employer-paid health & dental benefits
Provide compassionate, long-term care to persons with developmental disabilities in a residential group home or their private accommodation. Working front line as their direct care worker, you will encourage them to maximize their independence, develop unique strengths and enjoy community integration through social recreational activities.
The Disability Services Worker (DSW), under supervision of the Team Leader, cares for residential clients with behavioural, emotional, physical and social supports/supervision both in the residence with aids to daily living and at community activities and events.
In Your Role You Will
• Model/teach life skills including household chores (meal prep, cleaning, hygiene, etc.)
• Support client during setbacks and celebrating successes with them.
• Mentor client towards achieving Individual Support Plan (ISP) goals
• Drive person-in-care (in your own vehicle) to appointments/events within the community and supervise/participate with the client in recreational, leisure, vocational (training/employment) activities.
• Encourage healthy relationship skills with family, friends & community
• Model healthy relationships and setting boundaries
• Assess individual behavioural, emotional and social needs and requirements
• Use de-escalation techniques to manage challenging behaviours
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
• For a full list of job duties, contact HR for a job description
COVID-19: Please be aware that governments and/or funders within our service sectors are mandating services be provided by employees that are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be required at time of hiring.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MUST HAVE previous experience supporting special needs clients with complex behaviours, addictions, trauma; 2+ years.
• High School Diploma
• Prefer post-secondary course work in Psychology, Counselling, Social Service Worker, Special Education, Personal Support Work, Health Care Aide, Nursing, etc.
• Valid drivers license, 3 years driving experience and reliable vehicle
• Harm Reduction, Addictions, Trauma Informed Practice, Complex Needs, Behaviour Management training highly beneficial
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!