*Hiring 6 Positions total for locations in Hamilton and Dunnville*
Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Provides supervision and support to the efficient daily operation and activity in summer day camps, working collaboratively with the Recreation Specialist and child care supervisors. Plans and implements quality programs for children 4 to 12 years, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act.
- Creates a stimulating and nurturing environment for children to learn and grow, ensuring the safety of children enrolled in the summer camps through direct supervision, and attendance protocols;
- Supervises and acts as a positive role model for children and youth at summer camps, and summer camp counsellors;
- Prepares program plans and delivers fun and age appropriate programs (science, cooking, arts, drama, sports, etc.) for children 4 to 12 years of age according to YWCA philosophy, working closely with the Recreation Specialist;
- Implements curriculum to meet the needs, interests, and talents of all children;
- Fully participates in all camp activities with the children, including daily swim and special events;
- Recognizes the uniqueness and interests of all children and youth and assists them to successfully achieve their goals at camp;
- Updates, develops, and ensures positive, professional communication with parents/families, community partners, the public, co-workers and other YWCA staff on an ongoing basis;
- Provides leadership and mentoring to Focus on Youth Students;
- Ensures the camp areas are kept clean and neat;
- Works with limited pieces of child and family confidential data, with duty to report;
- Ensures program plans, menus, and other items for the parent/family communication board are posted and up-to-date;
- Ensures that written records are accurately documented and maintained including attendance records, symptoms of ill health, daily camp logs, etc.;
- Ensures all parent/family sign-offs, permission slips, etc. are completed according to YWCA policy;
- Ensures emergency binders are complete and accurate;
- Complies with the Child Care and Early Years Act and YWCA Policies;
- Identifies and delegates team roles and responsibilities;
- Takes initiative to provide positive coaching and mentoring to summer camp counsellors;
- Acts as a liaison between summer camp counsellors and the Recreation Specialist and/or child care supervisor;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision, and values;
- Participate in mandatory organizational and departmental trainings and meetings;
- Prepare snacks while adhering to the YWCA Hamilton menu and Public Health guidelines;
- Must be able to supervise large groups of children during offsite excursions such as field trips and swimming;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Works up to 37.5 hours per week;
- Ability to use frequent light to medium physical effort: lifting up to 20 kg (44 lbs.), bending and stooping;
- Must be able to work outdoors for at least 2 hours daily; may be exposed to heat, humidity, or cold.
This is a temporary summer position which is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Eligible applications must meet the criteria of the program to be considered.
- Has a diploma/degree in early childhood education, child and youth work, education, recreation and leisure, social work, psychology, sociology, kinesiology, or equivalent;
- Experience in a licensed child care setting is an asset;
- Minimum of 1 year’s experience working with children;
- HIGH FIVE® Principles of Healthy Child Development (PHDC) training is an asset;
- National Lifeguard Saving Society (NLS) Swimming Instructor certification is an asset;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective to work;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must provide a TB test, proof of Tetanus (within 10 years) and proof of MMR immunizations;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18-30 of age at the beginning of the employment period (Canada Summer Jobs requirement).
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to: https://easyapply.co/a/6a016d32-29c7-4132-8e55-085c6ec5aa85
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disAbilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: All applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.