Position Title: On-Call Settlement/Intake Assistant (Fluent in Ukrainian)
Department: Settlement Program
Reports to: Manager of Settlement and Family Programs
Start Date: May 2022
The Settlement/Intake Assistant provides support with direct client services and facilitates effective communication between Settlement Workers and clients by providing cultural and language support. Through an integrated services approach, the Settlement/Intake Assistant assists with one-on-one needs assessment and referrals, information and orientation, group information and orientation, service bridging, community connections, client outreach, resource development, and ensures service accessibility for all eligible clients. The Settlement/Intake Worker provides support virtually and in-person and provides interpretation and translation support, as required.
- Facilitates effective communication between the Settlement Worker and the client by providing cultural and language support
- Assists the Settlement Worker in conducting needs and assets assessments, developing service/settlement plans and provides service bridging and referrals for eligible clients
- In collaboration with the Settlement Worker, provides eligible individuals and families information, orientation, community connections, employment supports using a variety of delivery methods (online, telephone, email and in-person) and conducts group information sessions and workshops using a variety of service delivery methods as is suitable to meet deliverables
- Supports the Settlement Worker to assess and respond to clients in crises / presenting with visible trauma and assists to provide immediate support
- Keeps informed of current resources, trends, needs, changes, and service gaps in the general community and in specific client communities
- Conducts administrative duties, as required
- Abides by privacy, confidentiality, and secures client data collection
- Becomes familiar with Impact North Shore’s policies and procedures, programming objectives, client service philosophy, and understands clearly the role this position plays in achieving contractual goals and outcomes
- Provides first language services, as required, to enhance the client experience, including providing document translation support, as required
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Settlement Lead/Settlement Services Manager
- 1 year of experience in a direct client service role, preferably with immigrants and/or interest and commitment to supporting immigrants and refugees
- Bachelor's degree in Community Development, Humanities, or Counselling or High School completion with a diploma or certificate in Community Development, Humanities, or Counselling and/or relevant experience
- Knowledge of Canadian legal, political, cultural, employment, educational, and economic systems
- Experienced in establishing professional boundaries with clients.
- Sensible and sound judgement
- Strong administrative, interpersonal and client service skills
- Sensitivity to diverse cultural values and individual experiences
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (i.e. evening and daytime) to support service delivery needs
- Fluency in English and language of service (Ukrainian)
- Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement Impact North Shore’s values of excellence, diversity, and respect.
- Integrity & Ethics. Ensures integrity in personal and organizational practices. Contributes to a respectful and client-centered workplace.
- Thinks creatively; is open to new ideas and technologies. Is committed to developing effective and new approaches to service excellence. Is flexible and adaptable to meeting changing demands of clients, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Accepts a culture of accountability; takes personal ownership. Is self-aware and demonstrates a commitment to ongoing learning and continual improvement.
- Shows passion for the job engages people in delivering results.
- Effective Communication. Fosters open communication, listens to others, speaks effectively, and prepares written communication so that messages are clearly understood.
- Organized & Efficient. Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organized way. Follows directions and procedures and ensures deliverables are met on time and according to agreed standards.
- Strategic Thinking. Has a vision for the future, builds plans, and makes decisions to get there. Aligns delivery with the strategic directions of Impact North Shore.
- Results Focused. Action-oriented. Maximizes organizational effectiveness and sustainability. Aligns people, work, and systems to meet objectives.
- Work Environment: The current work environment during the pandemic is both remote and in-office, however this is subject to change depending on public health recommendations and service delivery requirements. For remote work, a strong internet connection and a quiet space to ensure confidentiality is required during phone calls.
- Salary: $23.00 - $26.00 per hour, commensurate with experience
- Work Schedule: Casual/On-Call