The Mission District Historical Society is seeking a temporary Archivist Assistant for the Mission Community Archives. The Archivist Assistant will help develop online resources to promote the use of Archives by performing associated archival tasks, including catalogue and digitize records, data entry, and preventative conservation measures. They will also assist with the development of the Archives Disaster Preparedness & Emergency Plan, the provision of reference services to the public and conduct oral history interviews.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processing archival records, including: cataloguing and physically rehousing materials, preparing finding aids to allow in-person and online access, and digitizing and uploading content to the Archives Online Digital Repository
- Assisting the Archivist with the Disaster Preparedness & Emergency Plan by developing maintenance and monitoring practices, including: emergency resource lists and criteria for collection priority.
- Helping with the provision of Reference Services to the public, including: the processing of digital reproduction orders
- Planning and conducting recorded interviews of local women for the Archives Paths & Pathfinders: Women of Mission Program.
This position is funded through the Canada Services Summer Grant Program which requires applicants to meet the following criteria:
- Must be aged 15 to 30 years to apply;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act 2;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Must pass a criminal record background check.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize information and prioritize tasks and projects
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently as well as with others
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite an asset
Terms of Employment:
- 30 hours per week for 10 weeks, beginning June 14 through August 19, 2022
- Regular Hours: Tuesday-Friday; 9:00am-4:30pm.